• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone gone through homelessness system / housing not supporting health in UK ?

Emmarose47

Hi I'm in a v difficult situation .
Just been served 8 wk notice on a houseshare . The city I live in is in dire housing crisis .
Rentals for people on benefits in a city where demand is high doesn't look good.
Reported to council as homeless I do have a lot of support agencies / charities helping ...esp to evidence shared housing doesn't support health needs . I was already updating homechoice app etc .
I'm awaiting care needs assessment and have a pre OT assessment this morn .
They said single people go into temp shared housing and b and bs ...although they do take health into account .

I'm housebound with health and live a lot upstairs as steep stair case exertion etc ...

Any experience from others I'd real appreciate

Emmarose47

@livinglighter thanks for your reply ..
Shelter are brilliant ..I had dealings with them few wks ago...
Social worker has referred me re current .

Good suggestion around local law centre

Are u in UK ? Have u had any housing issues whilst unwell

Emmarose47

I think it differs from county to county, but I recommend trying to get supported housing from the council. The care needs assessment should help with this.
Thank u
Yes that's the route that seems to be opening up ...
Tears today when I got a very informative e mail today from the social worker also shelter ( what an amazing organisation they are ...
And my practitoner physio sent me a v good report he has written ...
And my doc is sticking her neck out and writing me a report too ..

Many of the services say they can't get involved in housing but I've managed to ask for evidence assuring them they don't need to be involved ...

splusholia

@Emmarose47 I’m so glad. My own place in supported housing has been so positive. If you can bid on one in a good location, go for it. I’m in a really rural place. The supported aspect just basically means I don’t have to take my own bin out, and someone checks in once a week. It can be kind of helpful because they prioritise you for certain tasks, etc.

Emmarose47

@Emmarose47 I’m so glad. My own place in supported housing has been so positive. If you can bid on one in a good location, go for it. I’m in a really rural place. The supported aspect just basically means I don’t have to take my own bin out, and someone checks in once a week. It can be kind of helpful because they prioritise you for certain tasks, etc.
That's really great to hear splusholia
Your UK ? Oh the bin great I have issues with that.
May I ask if u able to tell your story to me re what happened in the lead up ? How it all happened .. you could DM me if wanted it more private ...
The care needs assessment is currently taking mths apparently and social worker said today the housing is the priority when I asked re pushing the assessment .
It may be that homelessness section at council push for it to happen ?
However , all the other reports I've got clearly state my needs and where im at .
Also had OT do pre assessment yesturday and she is talking about getting me a hospital bed to have where I live .... Bathing assesment etc etc ...

Emmarose47

I am based in the UK, and I'm currently experiencing difficulties with housing, but I have to choose my battles, and I'm now focused on health matters, so I haven't been able to sort out my housing issues just yet.
@livinglighter
Ah I see yes compartmentalizing so important for us and living one day at a time .
Well if my experience can benefit u in the future will be happy to help ..

splusholia

That's really great to hear splusholia
Your UK ? Oh the bin great I have issues with that.
May I ask if u able to tell your story to me re what happened in the lead up ? How it all happened .. you could DM me if wanted it more private ...
The care needs assessment is currently taking mths apparently and social worker said today the housing is the priority when I asked re pushing the assessment .
It may be that homelessness section at council push for it to happen ?
However , all the other reports I've got clearly state my needs and where im at .
Also had OT do pre assessment yesturday and she is talking about getting me a hospital bed to have where I live .... Bathing assesment etc etc ...

I’m in the UK, yes. I signed up to the home choice website when I was very severe and living with my parents. I didn’t have a proper bedroom with them as it didn’t have a window. I was put into band B. But you may be band A, if facing homelessness. I think it might of taken about six months to get a phone call offering for me to look at a place in the countryside. I accepted it that day and moved in over the next month. They didn’t seem to ask for much evidence of my illness. I think I had one letter from my doctor, and I gave them details of the CFS clinic I had been under for a while.

splusholia

Meant to add - I was also able to fill in areas where I had a local connection, which prioritised me further. Perhaps it is the same in other counties? I know each council works slightly differently!

Emmarose47

I’m in the UK, yes. I signed up to the home choice website when I was very severe and living with my parents. I didn’t have a proper bedroom with them as it didn’t have a window. I was put into band B. But you may be band A, if facing homelessness. I think it might of taken about six months to get a phone call offering for me to look at a place in the countryside. I accepted it that day and moved in over the next month. They didn’t seem to ask for much evidence of my illness. I think I had one letter from my doctor, and I gave them details of the CFS clinic I had been under for a while.
Amazing ... So glad it worked well for you
Ye housing crisis in Bristol ... I need to find out but one worker has said homelessness is band 3 now and another said 2...

Emmarose47

Meant to add - I was also able to fill in areas where I had a local connection, which prioritised me further. Perhaps it is the same in other counties? I know each council works slightly differently!
Ah ok interesting ....