• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone get sugar cravings after meals?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
This has been long standing but seems to be getting worse, after i eat a meal i seem to get stronger and stronger cravings for something high in sugar. And i need a rather large serving size. This seems to be getting worse over time.
Anyone else?

Also whether i eat sugar or not has not effect whatsoever on my subjective energy levels afterwards (i am usually tired out after a meal).

Last edited:

Wishful

For me it depends on the meal: some meals call for a sweet desert; some call for something salty. My desires aren't serious cravings though. I'm fairly sure that they're no different from pre-ME.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
For me it depends on the meal: some meals call for a sweet desert; some call for something salty. My desires aren't serious cravings though. I'm fairly sure that they're no different from pre-ME.
In my case it does not matter what i eat, the cravings are there and very strong.
I wonder if you could have hyperinsulinemia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperinsulinemia
I was tested for hypoglycemia many years ago and had a very slight form. I have not had the test recommended in the Wikipedia article.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I was tested for hypoglycemia many years ago and had a very slight form.

The article says they are not the same: "Hyperinsulinemia is often mistaken for diabetes or hypoglycaemia. These are separate, albeit related, conditions. Adipocytes will generate triglycerides in the presence of insulin [23] but refers to a liver condition rather than a pancreatic one."