• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone get high blood pressure on Valtrex?

2Cor.12:9

Hi all. I've been on generic Valtrex for a month (500 mg twice daily) and my blood pressure has gone up. I normally have borderline hypertension but it's been around 155/90 in the evening when I check it. It fluctuates a lot. But it then also back goes back down to normal (117/72 - or there about). by morning.

Anyone else experience this?

Learner1

My blood pressure varies within the same range. It varies especially with lying down, sitting, or standing. We think it's due to adrenergic antibodies and MCAS.

I take telmisartan and a natural product, Carditone by Ayush Herbs.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

...and a natural product, Carditone by Ayush Herbs.

That is one powerful herb.

Rauwolfia in the Treatment of Hypertension
Rauwolfia serpentina is a safe and effective treatment for hypertension. The plant was used by many physicians throughout India in the 1940s and then was used throughout the world in the 1950s, including in the United States and Canada. It fell out of popularity when adverse side effects, including depression and cancer, became associated with it. This author reviews the scientific literature with regard to the use of Rauwolfia and the treatment of hypertension. The author reviews the plant’s botany, chemistry, and pharmacology and provides a researched and documented method of action for the active ingredients. With special emphasis on the plant’s role in treating high blood pressure, the author looks at medical uses of the plant, critically examining its adverse side effects, toxicology, and carcinogenicity. The author refutes the association between the plant and carcinogenicity and discusses the importance of correct dosing and of screening patients to minimize the occurrence of depression. He concludes with the recommendation of use of low dose Rauwolfia (LDR) for suitable patients with hypertension. The plant provides clinicians with a safe and effective adjunct to pharmaceuticals in the treatment of high blood pressure.

ukxmrv

No, I've only had my "normal" POTS problems but no worse since Valtrex (am on same dose)

I was on valtrex with Celebrex. After 6 months my bp was high. I assumed it was the Celebrex.

Having a flare up again getting more valtrex on Wednesday. Bp now normal .

Will let you know if my bp rises but to the best of my knowledge valtrex should not raise bp.

I was on valtrex with Celebrex. After 6 months my bp was high. I assumed it was the Celebrex.

Will let you know if my bp rises but to the best of my knowledge valtrex should not raise bp.
Thanks @SueJohnPat - I take Alieve and Curcumin in place of Celebrex - I've wondered if it's the Alieve affecting my bp, since it is known to do that.

Alleve could do this. I only intermittently take Celebrex and valtrex due to cardiovascular side effects of celebrex( NSAID’s I am 53) you could try stopping the alleve and see if it goes down.

Hi all. I've been on generic Valtrex for a month (500 mg twice daily) and my blood pressure has gone up. I normally have borderline hypertension but it's been around 155/90 in the evening when I check it. It fluctuates a lot. But it then also back goes back down to normal (117/72 - or there about). by morning.

Anyone else experience this?
I’ve been on 2 g of valtrex since November and my bp has risen to 168/98 most of the time. I now take amlodipine and it helps the hypertension. I never thought of valtrex being the culprit. Have you found any medical research backing this? Thank you.

I’ve been on 2 g of valtrex since November and my bp has risen to 168/98 most of the time. I now take amlodipine and it helps the hypertension. I never thought of valtrex being the culprit. Have you found any medical research backing this? Thank you.

@toolongtotell - There are websites that say high blood pressure with valtrex can be a rare side effect - like Webmd for instance.
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-14126/valtrex-oral/details/list-sideeffects

I stopped taking it and also stopped the Alieve due to palpitations and blood pressure. I quit the Alieve first but the palps and chest discomfort continued until I quit the AV. I was on it for 4 months and the only improvement I noticed was not having herpes outbreaks. It wasn't worth the cardiac side effects - especially since I'm in my late 60's.

Good luck to you!

Tella

Hey how r u now?

Tella

Hey how r u now?