• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else have hands that itch severely in hot water?

snowathlete

I get this before and during outbreaks of pompholyx eczema. Also on my feet. The only non-pharmaceutical thing that I have found to help with the pompholyx is to put apple cider vinegar on the areas that are affected.

It doesn't stop it from happening but it helps to prevent it from becoming the nasty mess I first got into when I had my first ever outbreak of pompholyx about 18 months ago. Had never had eczema in my life until then- aged 52!

I have pompholyx also called dyshidrotic eczema too and have had it for about 15 years. I get it worse on my feet but my hands also. If it is this then you will see tiny bubbles under the skin. Look carefully they can be very very small and only visible in the right light, or sometimes you can feel them. Heat makes it worse. It is intensely itchy.

The only things that help me are letting air get to them, steroid ointments. It seems that chemicals, rubber, nickel and so on make it worse, so avoid those.

Valentijn

I have pompholyx also called dyshidrotic eczema too and have had it for about 15 years.
Oooh, that's the rash I get from touching mango sap. Never on the palms or soles though, just along the edges of hands/fingers and feet/toes. And if the damned blisters break, the reaction spreads with the fluid that comes out.

taniaaust1

@taniaagust1

Low calcium was always said to cause chilblains.
Link to Vit D and C?

Calcium is linked to the cloting factor with vit K.

Its interesting you said that as though I dont get chilblaines any more (just had problems with Raynauds and chilblains for a few years due to probably the ME). I did find that taking calicum helped another issue I had (and I did have D deficiency and started supplementing. I dont know why the chilbrain/Raynaud issue went away, so why knows, maybe those things did help

rosie26

@taniaagust1

Low calcium was always said to cause chilblains.
Link to Vit D and C?

Calcium is linked to the cloting factor with vit K.
I thought your mention of calcium was interesting too. I was involved in a study for few years in my late twenties which required a bone density scan for three years running. I was really shocked that my bone density wasn't that great. Should have been a whole lot better than it was and I also had lots of problems with my teeth which I could never understand.

I do wonder if I am not processing calcium properly.

Last edited:
I thought your mention of calcium was interesting too. I was involved in a study for few years in my early thirties which required a bone density scan for 3 years running. I was really shocked that my bone density wasn't that great. Should have been a whole lot better than it was and I also had lots of problems with my teeth which I could never understand.

I do wonder if I am not processing calcium properly.

Yes it was something my mother used to say it problaly went back futher back her gran was a midwife in the 20's and 30's.
I think she had knowledge of herbs.

I find my Calcium absorbtion is not quite right. I can't take Calcium supplements they go straight through me.
Though I can take full fat milk that binds apparently.

I can get diahorria if there's too much magnisum in the water.
Depa is not a place to go.
That's all passed down.

The doctors they know it all it's got to be
in my head.

slysaint

I have pompholyx also called dyshidrotic eczema too and have had it for about 15 years
I mentioned ITSAN earlier in relation to using topical steroids. I'm only doing my bit to raise awareness about the dangers, and Red Skin Syndrome. Rather than explain here's a video:

movieticket

Rachel
What about Mast Cell Activation disorder/Histamine Intolerance? The heat triggers histamine, and the irritation from dish soap could perpetuate it.
It would also cause the pealing/drying out of skin.

rosie26

What about Mast Cell Activation disorder/Histamine Intolerance? The heat triggers histamine, and the irritation from dish soap could perpetuate it.
It would also cause the pealing/drying out of skin.
Thanks, yes, it could be. I'm getting some weird peeling on my fingers. Just this afternoon I felt something odd on one of my little finger and looked down to see some strange peeling of skin at one corner at the side of the nail. Also my fingernails seem to tear easily.