• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else have a massive improvement from Tyrosine?

EddieB

Maybe you could comment on these past test results? Doctors don’t know what it means.

CC567BFC-CA66-4B91-BF90-4CF424FF86BC.jpeg

Last edited:

Learner1

It means it is quite possible you gave a reactivated infection but difficult to say for sure. At the very least, you should be retested, and do a PCR. And, if you are sick, why not TRY a drug that might help? Valganciclovir, valacyclovir, or famvir?

You might point out they are treating COVID-19 patients presumptively. Hand them the study I posted and tell them you know patients who gave been helped. What's the first that could happen?

And not a timid dose. If you have it, it's likely entrenched.

EddieB

Got test results back.

EBV PCR-negative
EBV IgM/IgG antibodies high as before, no active infection

Went over the results in a long chat with the immunologist yesterday. She believes my symptoms stem from neurological damages from past infections. But she did gave me a script for valcyclovir. I’m going to need to find some direction on taking it and what to reactions to expect.

Results from amino acids test all within normal ranges. However, Taurine is low-normal, may warrant trying some supplement...
Taurine, plasma- 39 (30-130 range)
Taurine, urine- 50 (below 3200 normal)

Not sure if tyrosine would be a benefit...
Tyrosine, plasma- 57 (35-110 range)
Tyrosine, urine- 24 (15-150 range)

Last edited:

Learner1

The PCR looks in the blood. It may not have captured what's in the tissue. So glad you got the valacyclovir. My doc prescribed 3g a day, but my insurance didn't like it. They were ok with 2g a day. Lerner said 1g 4x a day for patients under 175lbs.

Yes, taurine would be wise. Maybe 500mg-2g a day?? It acts as an antioxidant and helps with bile production.

Tyrosine maybe 500mg-1g. Many with ME/CFS are short of dopamine. If you feel jittery or hyper or BP goes up, back off. My doc has me at 6g daily for many months as my dopamine was near 0. Over time, I dropped it to 2g, then 1g, and u finally just dropped it altogether based in my current labs. Dopamine is pretty useful if you don't have any...

EddieB

More test results showed up today. Any idea what IgG3 is?

Panel Description: Immunoglobulin G Subclasses (1, 2, 3, 4) with IgG Total Result
Component:Result:
Standard range:
IgG 1
382-929
IgG 2
242-700
IgG 3
marker-warning.png
22-176
IgG 4
4-86
Immunoglobulin G (IgG)
700-1600

DogLover

@Learner1

Thank you for all of your help! I've got a question and I was hoping you could shed some light.

I'm receiving noticeable benefits from taking from taking 5HTP / Tyrosine and am currently working on the correct dose and ratio. My question is how long after ingestion of tyrosine do you tend to notice its effects? Does it kick in like a cup of coffee, or is there a day or week lag time? I have a general schedule of dosing, but sometimes I up it a bit to take an edge off. I think I can feel them wear off as I get worried with 5htp or slow with tyrosine.

I usually take them as powder mixed with water. I shake it up and shoot it, then chase it with a bit of lemon juice or more water. When I take either I think I feel a difference about 35min later. To me this sounds suspect as with other medications like aspirin or benzos that I took in the past, it would take a good hour to work.

I know your reservations about 5htp and am looking into replacing it with tryptophan. If I quit taking 5thp I end up crashing into a deep pit of fear and depression. Oh, and yes I'm taking B6 and other co-factors.

Learner1

I believe Tryptophan is as bad as 5-HTP. Sounds like you have an imbalance. Or, taking a guess, since you mentioned benzos, could this be part of the issue?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

If so, this may be helpful:

http://www.orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v10n09.shtml

Otherwise, doing a comprehensive nutrient test like a NutrEval might be worth it.
My question is how long after ingestion of tyrosine do you tend to notice its effects? Does it kick in like a cup of coffee, or is there a day or week lag time?
When I started tyrosine I was very lethargic dye to almost no dopamine. My doctor said to take 6g tyrosine. As I recall, I took the tyrosine and perked up pretty fast, within a day or two. I kept taking that dose for probably 6 months and then went to 3g, then 2g then 1g, gradually over the past 4 years, and just went off of it.

DogLover

I believe Tryptophan is as bad as 5-HTP. Sounds like you have an imbalance. Or, taking a guess, since you mentioned benzos, could this be part of the issue?

Ha! I knew you were going to say that. No, I never developed a habit. I had a prn script for it and a bottle of 20 pills would last a couple of years. I knew the dangers and stayed well away from it. I do love it, though, which would mean I'm low in GABA? I only used it in the event of a full blown panic attack or if I was flying. Even then it was usually about .25mg.

I also love coffee. I've had to quit a few times in the last year. Somehow it always finds a way to seep in to my life. Low in Dopamine?

Learner1

Whew - good to hear.

Coffee helps dissipate excess adenosine. Do you have AMPD1 SNPs?

And IDO2 SNPs? If you don't know, it would be really wise to stay away from anybgirm if tryptophan.

It would be wise to do a comprehensive nutrient test like a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval. It'd help you get to the bottom of this.

In the meantime, looking into GABA, taurine, theanine, Seriphos, and magnesium might be useful. Ir maybe a different combo of methylation supps.

Wish I could be more help. Best wishes.

Hufsamor

I’ve been on tyrosine 500 mg in the morning on empty stomach for a week and a half.
It seems to have taken the edge of the anxiety and depression that has been a part of my pem. For which I’m very grateful.

But it also seems to make me even more drowsy at daytime than usual.
Im considering to take it in the afternoon, but it’s magic seems to wear off a bit towards the evening, and I prefer the day to be anxi-less (that’s not a word?) over the evening and night…

So …any thoughts on how to keep the good effect and at the same time get rid of the side effect?