• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anybody else get Bell's Palsy shortly after starting Mestinon?

*GG*

So I started Mesinon about 3 weeks ago at 120 mg, 60 mg 2 times a day. About 2 weeks into this, I come down with Bell's Palsy. Has this happened to anyone else?

Mestinon is used to treat Myasthenia Gravis, an autoimmune condition, which I don't have. Recently had blood work done and Dr said I had some high viral titres. Wonder if this drug "weakened"/modulated my immune system, which allowed Bell's Palsy to present itself?

Seeing better out of my eye, but my mouth is still messed up, and the eye area is not pretty, probably getting into the Drs today for follow up. Prednisone of 60 mg a day for a week is over today.

GG

Tammy

From what I've learned from Anthony William (medical medium).............Bell's palsy is viral inflammation of critical facial nerves.............from shingles virus. Shingles virus does not have to show up as a rash..........there are non-rashing varieties .

*GG*

Ok, wanted to update people, and this makes a good record for my care.

Saw a nurse yesterday, and she continued the Prednisone for another 8 days, tapering me down. 40 mg for 4 days, then 20 mg for the final 4 days. Also, she prescribed valacyclovir for 1 week. 1 tablet every 8 hours.

The USA healthcare system has its faults, but thinking I would not get such good care and prompt attention like I have recently!

GG