• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any news on Lipkin study?

alex3619

Too tired to comment much now, but I read just in the last day or two of a study in which a deficiency of just one key immune protein can lead to persistent viral infection. I don't recall the article though, only that this was mostly on mice. I just searched my email for it but it wasnt there.

acer2000

I know Peterson likes to talk occasionally, but I seriously doubt he knows the results of the Lipkin xmrv study. My understanding is that his role in the XMRV/MLV study being done with Columbia was limited to supplying patient samples and matched controls from his practice/area.

Bob

More of the same from Simmaron:

XMRV and MLV in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Funded by: The National Institutes of Health (NIH)
While bringing conclusion to the XMRV debate, this study creates well-defined patient cohorts from multiple sites under the leadership of Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health and the Centers for Infection and Immunity.
http://simmaronresearch.com/sr-research/?forumid=331851

beaverfury

beaverfury
..its ok, i wont really take anything. I can wait for those scientists to come up with something.
They'll get there.....five years.... . Ten years max.

Sit back and enjoy my full and varied life until then

free at last

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-06-scientists-lack-protein-results-persistent.html
ooh.. thats interesting. Imiquimod works on TLR7 according to wiki.

..And this implicates TLR4,
http://www.proteabiopharma.com/page/cfs-me.php
..For which Naloxone and Amitriptyline are antagonists.

Whats it all mean?.....I dont know. But i'll take anything.

However, i digress. Back to Lipkin

I wonder if there has been research on TLR7 and Amitriptyline effects on the protien
I know its a pain killer. But was wondering about its possible effect on this missing or dysfunctional protien
As i did well on Amitriptyline. And not just in a non depressive way. Ive been saying that here for years. But i am out of my depth. there may be no research showing any benefit on TLR7 problems. Just thought i would mention the idea ?

Firestormm

First appeared: http://www.mecfsforums.com/index.php/topic,13221.new.html#new

Also now: http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=17175

From Centre for Infection and Immunity:

Dr Ian Lipkin - XMRV / MLV Study to be published on the 18th of Sept 2012

@CII722

#XMRV/#CFS/#ME study is complete. Was accepted for publication last week. Is due for release on Sept. 18.

CII ‏@CII722

@newprof1 @cggbamford We prefer the "Alter/Mikovits/Switzer/Lipkin" study , but yes.

Follow
CII

@CII722

The Center for Infection & Immunity is dedicated to pathogen surveillance & grasping how gene-environment-timing interactions contribute to health & disease.

https://twitter.com/CII722

So. I've noted it in me diary. Unless someone who better understand Twitter can tell me this isn't genuine :D

snowathlete

I was on amitryptyline for sleep. 20mg and it helped loads. I stopped two months ago because I had to look after my daughter while my wife had appendicitis. Daughter doesn't sleep well and needs rocking all night.
Sleep has slowly declined since. I may go back on them but was enjoying being off all tablets. Also I know I feel dreadful the first two weeks back on them so avoiding it.
So this research suggests it may be good for ME?
On a general note I have been feeling worse off it overall.

beaverfury

beaverfury
18th SEPTEMBER. Awesome. It will be like sitting up waiting for the Wimbledon final. I MIGHT EVEN DRINK A BEER!

Best case scenario: We Will All Be Cured in a Couple of Weeks.

As for the Amitriptyline, for gods sake dont listen to me. TLR-4 detects lipopolysaccharide and produces an inflammatory response. Whether this response is a good thing in cfs, i dont know.
Wiki lists Ketotifen and Amitriptyline as antagonists which would presumably turn down this response.
I should stick to drinking beeer, and not engage in medical speculation.

leela

the comments "bringing conclusion to the XMRV debate" and "draw a line under"
don't necessarily translate to "rule out" to me. Draw a line through, that's a no. Bringing conclusion to the debate
could be a yea or a nay. Drawing a line under is for emphasis. I read it as possibly a subset in which MLVs can be a factor. Or not. ;)

I'm quoting myself, because I was just watching a movie the other day wherein a character used "draw a line under" in the sense of crossing it off the list. I have never heard that before, but of course, I don't get out much :sluggish:

Anyhow, it's such a short wait now to see the study. I hope we get some solid info for moving forward,
whatever the results.

barbc56

I'm quoting myself, because I was just watching a movie the other day wherein a character used "draw a line under" in the sense of crossing it off the list. I have never heard that before, but of course, I don't get out much :sluggish:

Anyhow, it's such a short wait now to see the study. I hope we get some solid info for moving forward,
whatever the results.

I always thought "draw a line under" was for emphasis thus the phrase "the bottom line". But then I also thought the Lipkin study was coming out on the 28th. I think this is the first time my fog has had a positive outcome.

Of course now I have to stop doing anything productive and find the phrase on the internet, etc., etc. etc. :rolleyes:

I don't get out much, either.:lol:

Barb C.:>)

Now this has led me to wonder about the phrase "drawing a line in the sand" and how it's related to the above. Learning new things is a never ending battle.:D

I'm quoting myself, because I was just watching a movie the other day wherein a character used "draw a line under" in the sense of crossing it off the list.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/draw
draw a line under

resolve not to engage in further discussion or consideration of (a difficult or distressing issue or situation): we need to draw a line under this whole affair, not prolong it
The orgin is I think mathematics/accountancy - a heavy horizontal line denoting the end of a calculation or accounting series. Anything that follows, although it may use data derived from above the line (for example a closing balance), is considered to operate under different conditions to that which applied to the calculations made above the line. A completed calculation may of course get a 'tick' from the auditor, teacher or examiner, and the completed work may be 'crossed off' the work list. In printing a heavy line was once standard at the end of a book chapter, and of course still denotes the end of an article in some print media.​

barbc56

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/draw
draw a line under

resolve not to engage in further discussion or consideration of (a difficult or distressing issue or situation): we need to draw a line under this whole affair, not prolong it
The orgin is I think mathematics/accountancy - a heavy horizontal line denoting the end of a calculation or accounting series. Anything that follows, although it may use data derived from above the line (for example a closing balance), is considered to operate under different conditions to that which applied to the calculations made above the line. A completed calculation may of course get a 'tick' from the auditor, teacher or examiner, and the completed work may be 'crossed off' the work list. In printing a heavy line was once standard at the end of a book chapter, and of course still denotes the end of an article in some print media.​
CM​

Thanks!!

Barb C.:>)

Bob

Well, at least now we've got the English sorted.
On to the science:nerd: ........

So, shall we, ehem, draw a line under the English discussion now then?!? hehehe... :lol: :rofl:

(Disclaimer: Sorry, that was my poor attempt at a joke... I'm not attempting to stop any English discussions! My jokes don't always translate well onto forums, so it's best that I point out that it's my attempt at a joke!)