• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any more vaccination personal stories?

Victronix

A friend of mine who got the two shots got several illnesses over a period of weeks - a cold sore (which he never gets), prostatitis (with 103 degree fever, was put on drugs and recovered) and finally shingles. His initial experience with getting the shots was a high fever and two days of "hell" with the second shot.

I will not get it - I have huge reactions to drugs and for my peace of mind there are too many unknowns with the vaccine (and many people are getting COVID anyway, even with it, but you have to look outside the mainstream media to see those in any news stories). My sense is that the virus itself has actually been studied a lot more at this point, and has far far more research, than the vaccines have.

Last edited by a moderator:

IThinkImTurningJapanese

A friend of mine who got the two shots got several illnesses over a period of weeks - a cold sore (which he never gets), prostatitis (with 103 degree fever, was put on drugs and recovered) and finally shingles. His initial experience with getting the shots was a high fever and two days of "hell" with the second shot.

Things are weird with the virus too. Covid will kill you, it almost did for me. I think @pamojja and @Wayne may have helped save my life with their research. I contracted Covid quite early on, before it was well understood.

Hopefully we get smarter about our immunity soon. :D

Jyoti

@Booble --did you see this from MEAction?
https://www.meaction.net/2021/04/29...pondents/?mc_cid=42549a67ba&mc_eid=953316f282

The aim of the survey is to provide data that can be used, along with personal stories, to help our campaign to make the government aware of the impact that Covid-19 is having on people with ME and the need to provide effective support to those affected.
The initial findings, based on the first 220 responses, show clearly that Covid-19 had a significant impact on respondents. Over three quarters of the respondents said that Covid-19 made their ME symptoms worse. This impact appears to be long lasting, with over two thirds of respondents reporting that the worsening in symptoms has lasted more than 6 months and have still not resolved. Not only have existing symptoms worsened, but over 70% of respondents reported that they had developed new symptoms, including shortness of breath, chest pain and dizziness.

I had a really bad reaction to #1, almost none to #2. I think it might have been better preparation (I did not know I was getting #1 until a minute or two before I got it), but .... who knows?

Wishing you luck, whatever you do!

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I got the Pfizer vaccine; my first shot was in mid-March and the second was at the beginning of April. It wasn't fun, but for me it wasn't much worse than any other vaccine experience.

With both shots the day I felt run down and pretty sick, which is how I normally feel after getting a flu shot. For the next 3-4 days after that, I felt better, but still not great. And then even after I felt better my glands still felt swollen for another week or so. My immune system was definitely throwing a party!

The second shot for me was a bit worse than the first. I didn't have a fever after the first shot, but after the second shot I had a day of fever, and the aches and chills were a bit worse as well.

It's so hard to make these decisions, especially since the vaccine is so new and most doctors can't guide us knowledgeably. Plus, even among people with ME/CFS everyone is different and reacts differently! I admit that I was terrified as I drove to my appointment.

Have you read the most recent article on vaccines on Health Rising? It sums up the survey on side effects from people who got vaccinated, plus it has updated recommendations from ME/CFS doctors: https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...-chronic-fatigue-experts-coronavirus-vaccine/

L'engle

moogle
I'm fully supportive of peoples' choice to get or not get the vaccine. The extra doses are getting shipped to people who do want them and don't seem to be going to waste yet. As well those who are housebound are not likely to pass the illness on to anyone else so we are less critical for 'herd immunity' than those who are out in the world everyday. I will probably get a first one and see how I do. For those who react to everything though(I fit somewhat into that category but not as much as some people), it's a nerve-wracking decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the Moderna vaccine.

After the first dose my arm was a bit sore, and that was my only negative side effect. On the plus side, my knee joints, which normally feel a bit tender, felt better than usual for a few days after the shot.

After the second dose, I had some mild side effects. About 12 hours after the shot I felt like I was coming down with something. I felt achy, tired, and nauseous and had some chills. I went to bed and tried to sleep it off. The next day I felt a bit better but still had some symptoms, and the day after that, I was back to my baseline.

The side effects I felt from the vaccine seemed on par or more mild than other friends (healthy) who got the vaccine and more mild than different friends (also healthy) who got sick with COVID.

Before I took the vaccine, I worried how my body might react. I opted to get it because I believed getting COVID would knock me down harder than the vaccine side effects.

I feel fortunate that the effects were mild, and I feel relief that the vaccine will give me some protection against the virus.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Booble - I had both Pfizer jabs. My arm was rather sore after the first one, and I was quite tired for a day or 2, though not as bad as PEM. I was a bit extra tired overall for about 5 days, and my stomach was off - no nausea, but food just didn't appeal to me.

My reaction was actually a little less severe with the second jab, I didn't get quite as tired, so it was rather mild symptoms (the same ones, stomach off and fatigue) for about 5 days.

And that was about it - I think I got off easy. I have several family members who've been vaccinated, and all have done okay, though none of them have ME/CFS and only one has an autoimmune illness -rheumatoid arthritis, but even she did fine.

fwiw, I've read that the Pfizer side effects are supposed to be less severe than Moderna. Also, the Moderna has about 3 times the amount of vaccine in each shot, which may be the reason for the more intense after effects.

TiredBill

I'm almost 3 weeks out from my second round of Moderna.

Quite relieved (the understatement of all time) to be innoculated against Covid. I can't imagine what the assault of that virus might have done to me. Shudder to think.

The shot "side effects" were very minor. A tender arm after the first. A headache and some malaise the morning after the second shot. Back to "normal" (ME/CFS) by the next day. No changes otherwise.

Very relieved and grateful to be vaccinated.

Bill

Last edited:
I’ve also had both Pfizer shots. After the first one, my arm hurt a little and I had a headache the next day. I get headaches a lot, so not completely sure if it’s related to the vaccine or not.

I just got the second one this past Tuesday. I felt fine the day of the shot, but the next day I started to feel sick - achy, nauseous, chills and generally feeling like I was coming down with something. But felt much better the next day. Oddly, my arm didn’t hurt as much with the second as the first.

pattismith

I had Flu vaccine on 13th October

First Pfizer shot on 06th April

Second Pfizer shot on 02th may

I had very bad reaction to Flu vaccine and very bad reaction to the second Pfizer.

The latest is just starting today so I will wait a bit before documenting and comparing bad reactions from one or another vaccine...:D

I'm currently fighting a very bad fluish reaction with neuropathic autonomic/sensory symptoms, I hope it will end soon.

Azayliah

My first shot of the Pfizer vaccine was on Friday. I have a lot of symptoms on a daily basis, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have noticed if it caused any of those. Two things really stood out:

1. I had a migraine on waking up that morning; a few hours after the vaccine, it was completely gone.

2. About four hours after the shot my arm hurt and grew stiff enough that I couldn't lift my drink or move my computer mouse. Later, the stiffness migrated to my chest and neck on the side side of my body, causing a small, sharp, intermittent stabbing pain on the side of my sternum, and a kind of choked, stretched, numb feeling in half of my throat.

The pain eased a bit on Saturday, but it still hurt to lift things or move my arm a lot. I could move my arm and lift things again yesterday, as long as I didn't overdo it. Today, the pain is almost completely gone and I only notice a very small spot of soreness if I actually press fingers to the injection site. I think maybe my headaches are getting ready to return, too.

Booble

I had Flu vaccine on 13th October

First Pfizer shot on 06th April

Second Pfizer shot on 02th may

I had very bad reaction to Flu vaccine and very bad reaction to the second Pfizer.

The latest is just starting today so I will wait a bit before documenting and comparing bad reactions from one or another vaccine...:D

I'm currently fighting a very bad fluish reaction with neuropathic autonomic/sensory symptoms, I hope it will end soon.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it resolves quickly!

Booble

I'm leaning towards getting it soon now though still terrified after previous quite severe reactions to other vaccines. Seems like most people here and on the other forum have not suffered long term ill effects from the vaccines.

I want to reiterate that I am NOT anti-vaxxer, but I am paying close attention. With the news of death in 2 out of 100,000 vaccines I would like to wait a little longer 'til the scientists uncover who is most at risk. 2 out of 100,000 is pretty low risk, given the emergency of the situation, but if in a certain demographic -- those with x, y and z the rate is 2 out of 10,000 then that would be good to know, given our unusual bodily responses to things.

godlovesatrier

I was really not that well for 2 weeks post zeneca (jab 1). First 48 hours were horrible, I basically felt like I had a full blown viral infection. However now the only thing I have is this very WEIRD pain/aching at the jab site whenever I sleep on it. It's almost like nerve damage or tissue damage, I don't get it at all, it's really bizarre and I've never ever had this reaction to a jab before. The thing is the pain is always there when I sleep on it, makes me wonder if it's an auto immune reaction?