• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any bad experiences of turmeric plus piperine?

Hopeful1976

I've been taking turmeric 600mg plus piperine twice a day for a month now, and although I initially felt good, I've begun to feel really poorly now. V achy, pain, ect. Does anyone else get this? I thought turmeric was supposed to help inflammation and pain!?

I took turmeric and piperine for three months. I added CoQ10 around the same time. Initially I felt so good I thought I was in remission. However after three months I started getting much worse and developing new symptoms of joint instability.

I think the turmeric and piperine were so effective at reducing inflammation I quit noticeably reacting to stuff that had previously triggered MCAS-like reactions. After months of allowing small exposures (and some new mold growing in my drain that I didn't notice) my illness got worse than my previous baseline.

The whole ordeal inspired me to move to another city where I am doing much better so there is a happy ending. However I would be quite cautious with turmeric.

Hopeful1976

I took turmeric and piperine for three months. I added CoQ10 around the same time. Initially I felt so good I thought I was in remission. However after three months I started getting much worse and developing new symptoms of joint instability.

I think the turmeric and piperine were so effective at reducing inflammation I quit noticeably reacting to stuff that had previously triggered MCAS-like reactions. After months of allowing small exposures (and some new mold growing in my drain that I didn't notice) my illness got worse than my previous baseline.

The whole ordeal inspired me to move to another city where I am doing much better so there is a happy ending. However I would be quite cautious with turmeric.
Thanks so much for your input. I feel terrible and the only thing I've been taking is turmeric with piperine. Like you, I initially felt great... now not so...I won't take anymore and see if I improve

Wishful

Turmeric is bad for me too. I didn't notice any benefits from it, just worsening of symptoms. Quite a few spices and herbs that other people take to reduce ME symptoms worsen my ME.

As for the 'works for a while, then seems to stop working', that's common with treatments for ME. In my experience, once something stops working, it doesn't start working again, even after avoiding it for a while.

Hopeful1976

Turmeric is bad for me too. I didn't notice any benefits from it, just worsening of symptoms. Quite a few spices and herbs that other people take to reduce ME symptoms worsen my ME.

As for the 'works for a while, then seems to stop working', that's common with treatments for ME. In my experience, once something stops working, it doesn't start working again, even after avoiding it for a while.
Thanks for your input @Wishful. I'll have to see if it is the turmeric that's upset me, but I cant pinpoint another thing... I feel terrible!

Gingergrrl

@Hopeful1976 Did you do poorly with plain Turmeric (without the Piperine) or did that also cause negative side effects? I wanted to make sure I understood as I am about to start investigating a bunch of Turmeric /Curcumin options for neck pain/inflammation.

Sarah94

@Hopeful1976 Did you do poorly with plain Turmeric (without the Piperine) or did that also cause negative side effects? I wanted to make sure I understood as I am about to start investigating a bunch of Turmeric /Curcumin options for neck pain/inflammation.

@Gingergrrl I doubt you'd get much benefit without the piperine. The bioavailability of Turmeric/curcumin is very low without piperine.

Carl

@Gingergrrl I doubt you'd get much benefit without the piperine. The bioavailability of Turmeric/curcumin is very low without piperine.
It should be consumed with fat to aid absorption.

It could be piperine that causes the problems. I avoid that stuff because it affects (increases) the absorption in the digestive system and therefore could increase the detox burden on the body.

Piperine can also make medications last longer in the human body by slowing the liver detox, phase 1 if I remember correctly. That could also be affecting you just for general detox if it is being inhibited. I stay well away from piperine/black pepper. The Increased Digestive Permeability in CFS puts a heavy burden on the liver detox processes and I do not think taking something like piperine is helpful.

Turmeric/curcumin can also stimulate the gallbladder and promote anger which some people can have problems with especially if you suppress anger.

Hopeful1976

Hiya. I didn't try plain turmeric, just the stuff with piperine also, as I'd read that plain turmeric was not that good (doesn't get into our systems very well, if at all). The funny thing was, I started get worse pain and inflammation (very much in my legs and arm muscles, plus a nagging headache), which is the opposite of what it purports to do for most people.

Wishful

The bioavailability of Turmeric/curcumin is very low without piperine.

It doesn't take much turmeric to make my ME symptoms worse. If it's effect isn't from curcumin absorbed, maybe it's from altering the microbiome, or triggering an immune response. I suppose I could take some turmeric and see how bad I feel, and another day take the same amount plus black pepper and see if I feel even worse. I guess I'm not interested enough in how things make me feel worse to put up with two or more days of feeling lousier than normal. :ill:

Gingergrrl

Thank you everyone for the replies (and I have not tried Turmeric or Piperine) but am gathering info and all of this is really helpful.

Hopeful1976

It doesn't take much turmeric to make my ME symptoms worse. If it's effect isn't from curcumin absorbed, maybe it's from altering the microbiome, or triggering an immune response. I suppose I could take some turmeric and see how bad I feel, and another day take the same amount plus black pepper and see if I feel even worse. I guess I'm not interested enough in how things make me feel worse to put up with two or more days of feeling lousier than normal. :ill:
I have a feeling it alters the microbiome as my gut symptoms have become bad since taking it, which subsequently always corresponds with a general worsening of everything else.

Pearshaped

Turmeric with pepper increases my sensory overload and i am getting jittery and agitated.
Not for everyone.