• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

any advice on my temp changes... its really messing with me!

humanrising

I know this is a fairly common symptom. hot and cold. night sweats etc. but my insomnia is so bloody severe that I can't have something else disrupting my sleep.
I went into menopause early, been on bioidental hormones for awhile which helped with a number of things but can't afford them anymore. so I am just taking estrogen and progesterone. I had unbelievable bad hot flashes that the other 10 treatments I tried did nothing hence going on hormones which helped. Until recently where my hormone levels are good and stable but I am hot and cold and hot and cold "not flashy". I don't feel like someone set my guts on fire its just constant mild but annoying hot and cold. worse at night ( I think but it maybe more that it bothers me more).
I know we often have HPA axis issues that can cause this, just hoping someone has had this symptom ( not related to menopause) that they found something that helped and wouldn't mind sharing. thanks so much!

kangaSue

It can be Autonomic Neuropathy (AN) causing sudomotor dysfunction. I was told for a couple of years that it was "just menopause" but when I realised I wasn't sweating in response to being in the hot sun either and finally got someone to agree to autonomic function testing, it came back that I had AN too. I had reduced sweating in the tests and that can manifest as hot flush-like sweats too.

taniaaust1

I may have a solution to your issue as its one I can get too and I've solved it :)

I've very recently come to realise that I got that hot and cold symptom all night when I have a synthetic bedding on my bed esp if I use a synthetic quilt.. it really messes with my temperature regulation. I had to go back to using a synthetic quilt after my duck down one fell apart and then this symptom was a complete nightmare, waking me up many times during each night hot or cold each time I wake up.

So in desperation of sleeping better and of also remembering that I did not have this hot/cold issue when I used a canvas blanket, I recently went out looking to buy a non synthetic one again to see if that helped and brought a light cotton blanket. What a relief! NO hot and cold issues all night so that's vertified its the synthetics causing that symptom in my case.

Anyway, if your quilt has that synthetic wadding in it, try one made of natural materials and also use cotton sheets.

Last edited:

humanrising

I am sensitive to anything synthetic so don't wear synthetic's or have bedding made of anything but cotton. I have this issue both day and night its just the night time is deeply affecting my already poor sleep.

the other interesting tidbit I should have added is while it can happen "willy nilly" it almost AWAYS happens when I flip over in to a different position.... moving even a small amount can send me into heat land ripping off the bedding and waiting to get cold and start the process over and over.

I will have to read up AN, thanks for sharing that!

ahmo

Some years ago I discovered hypothalamus glandular to hlep me, especially during the summer. Not hot flushes, but inability to tolerate heat. Worked pretty well. But the only ones I've found recently are Nutricology x 100, from Swansons. Around $80-100. So not a good bet for just trying it. Good luck.:bouquet:

humanrising

I am afraid that is out of my budget and i think I am also a little leery of taking glandular with my hashimotos, if I had a great doc who " gets my illness" and prescribed it I would do it.

I am glad you found something that works!
if it doesn't change in a few months and is still robbing even more of my fractured sleep I might do it anyway. sleep deprivation leads one to take some chances!