• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anxious tummy-Coronavirus

Sarahloudobby

Over the last two or three weeks all my bowel problems have flared up, prickly pain, gas and loose at times. I can’t help thinking it is anxiety related as I have been feeling very unnerved by all the impact of the virus here in U.K. Does anyone else’s bowel symptoms become exacerbated by stress and anxiety?
Sarah
x

Wolfcub

I've felt the same @Sarahloudobby I didn't realise it could be anxiety related with me, because I didn't think I was consciously "worried". Lockdown is much like my ordinary life....I have been lucky with grocery orders up until the 17th April anyway....it's beautiful weather....and because I live remotely I can walk in the fields freely, so it all feels okay here.

I thought it was just a bad flare up of all my symptoms, but especially my belly and going on about 3 weeks now. It gets a bit better then worse again. The worst thing is I can't eat any of the foods I stocked up with late Jan/early Feb when I saw this coming. And it's hard now to stock up on different foods for when they are suddenly needed (when I feel really bad).
Because this is the worst "crash like" thing and has been going on and on for weeks now. Even a bit worse than the first illness that started the ME/CFS. Maybe it is anxiety I haven't recognised...

wabi-sabi

@Wolfcub That's just how I feel. So icky and no appetite. I don't know why I'd be upset either, since isolation is my normal life, but the generalized stress and anxiety is definitely getting to me. Tummy not at all happy. And so much more tired than usual.

Wolfcub

@Wolfcub That's just how I feel. So icky and no appetite. I don't know why I'd be upset either, since isolation is my normal life, but the generalized stress and anxiety is definitely getting to me. Tummy not at all happy. And so much more tired than usual.
Yep...that's how I've been feeling too. I couldn't figure out why. I was going through this perpetual crash right now... One day I basically had to fast all day except for spoonfuls of honey and herb teas and that is so unlike me.

I wonder if we are picking up on all the fear, worry and stress going about?

wabi-sabi

I wonder if we are picking up on all the fear, worry and stress going about?

I think we must be. I've always been a sensitive person, but this is really more than than normal. I suppose the disease exacerbates that too. Then the not being able to eat or drink much makes the orthostatic issues and feeling faint worse too. Ah well, this too shall pass, but I do wish I could get some stress relief in the meantime.
I was so unsettled on my last grocery trip I forgot to get chocolate! That's when you know its bad.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
The worst thing is I can't eat any of the foods I stocked up with late Jan/early Feb when I saw this coming. And it's hard now to stock up on different foods for when they are suddenly needed (when I feel really bad).
Although not bowel related, this prevented me from stocking up some food then. Now it seems that I know almost everthing - too late.

pattismith

same thing here, so I don't know what to eat. Maybe stick to low fiber diet/white rice for a while and steamed chicken like do the crohn people (and coca cola)? it usd to work for me

Wolfcub

I hope you are feeling better soon @Sarahloudobby :hug:

I don't know....the last 2-3 weeks it felt like I had IBS but I never had that before. My stomach itself felt okay but gas pains in lower gut about 3 hours after eating, and a horrible anxious "adrenaline" feeling.
So I ate mainly low FODMAP foods to give that a try, and (I know this sounds weird but had to as I couldn't get any spinach and spinach is usually kind to my tummy) but I ate steamed nettle tops, lightly steamed green peppers, cucumber, lettuce, green beans, small amounts of avocado, green-ish bananas and peeled black grapes (peeling even one grape is really "zen") :rolleyes: :_
I also kept to boiled eggs and plain steamed fish like cod and haddock, with just salt.
Kept away from seasonings, black pepper, curry powder etc, just used salt. Daren't eat beans/lentils, peas or....yuck!
With me, small amounts of butter were okay, and a little grain/seed bread rusk-toasted, but that might not suit everyone

I usually eat high-fibre but couldn't or they made me tons worse but the nettles seemed soothing and no upset on them. Now my tummy feels a little easier, quieter, my appetite came back and bm a lot more normal.
I dared to eat chickpeas (3 tablespoons) tonight and no ill effect so far fingers crossed.

Last edited: