• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antivirals question

Sarah94

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that antivirals for ME patients are more effective if taken in the first couple of years or so of illness. Is that true???

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
It is believed early treatment with antivirals for EBV is effective in preventing permanent disability in some cases. I am not sure how much research has actually looked at long term versus short term EBV infection outcomes. So the answer may vary depending on whom you ask. No matter the duration of infection there are those who respond to antivirals and those who do not. There are also the cases where improvement is only temporary. A lot more research is required.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that antivirals for ME patients are more effective if taken in the first couple of years or so of illness. Is that true???

Cfs onset 2002 @31yo chickenpox, ebv, cmv. 2009 started antivirals and wish id started earlier. Im still on antivirals for possible cmv reactivation and shingles reactivation. Im doing well as long as i stay on antivirals and testosterone replacement therapy has also been a significant improving factor. Work 4 days a week and weight training 2-3 days a weeks is a big improvement on the last 20years .

So improvements can be gained if started at any time, but sooner the better and it appears to be a viral cause from a herpes infection.

Mule

Alex
Hi heapsreal,
Can i ask which antivirals you’re on? Your onset and treatments seem similar to mine.
Am trying chinese antivirals with little change so far...
Were you having reocurring relapses every month or three weeks?
Many thanks

Hi heapsreal,
Can i ask which antivirals you’re on? Your onset and treatments seem similar to mine.
Am trying chinese antivirals with little change so far...
Were you having reocurring relapses every month or three weeks?
Many thanks
Just curious, the "Chinese" antivirals you're trying, are they Oxymatrine?