• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Antibiotic Potentiator

J

Jason

I'll spare ya'll the odd story that led me to this, but here's the question: What is INF 401? I see Protez Pharmaceutical was researching this product in '01 and have emailed them for additional information.

In the abstracts I'll list below, it is only described as "The developed potentiator". Based on the two abstracts it seems to be a rather potent potentiator for several antibiotics. I'm curious if anyone is aware of it's availability. Excerpts and links below.

Thanks,
Jason R

" The most active compound, INF 401, lowers the minimal bactericidal concentration of these antibiotics by a factor of at least 16 so that the antibiotic exhibits cidal activity even at their MIC. Additionally, INF 401 reduces the minimal active concentration of rifampin and clindamycin against S. aureus biofilms in vitro by at least 64 fold. The mechanism of action of INF 401 has been established and appears unique. It causes an accumulation of iron within cells and in combination with an antibiotic promotes the rapid degradation of DNA. Normally bacteria tolerate INF 401 by inducing the biosynthesis of proteins involved in the oxidative stress response, such as AhpC. However, in the presence of an antibiotic inhibitor of protein synthesis, the stress response is inhibited and bacteria die. "
http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/ma?f=102267898.html

" PROPOSED CO MMERCIAL APPLICATIONS: The envisioned commercial product is the combination of e ither a macrolide, lincosamide, tetracycline, chloramphenicol, or other bacterio static antibiotic, with a potentiator to give a combination that is bactericidal to a range of Gram positive pathogens. Such a combination would provide a valua ble therapeutic alternative, especially when resistance to existing antibiotics limits therapeutic options. "
http://www.researchgrantdatabase.com/g/1R43AI048092-01/POTENTIATORS-OF-BACTERIOSTATIC-ANTIBIOTICS-IN-GRAM/