• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anti- Enteroviral Drugs

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Wonder why you never hear about anti-enteroviral drugs? Because outside of Polio there aren't any. According to these authors the need clearly exists. It's certainly possible that these common infections that commonly sweep through communities hit vulnerable targets causing diseases like chronic fatigue syndrome. It could be enteroviruses - common cold viruses (that have perhaps mutated? - since they do mutate frequently) - have been responsible for many of these 'outbreaks'. They not however, the focus of that much research.

Hence the creation of the Enterovirus Foundation - by Lisa Faust - an ME/CFS patient - from which I got this (very technical) paper

The early diagnosis of EV infection followed by antiviral therapies
may prevent patients suffering from severe complications.
Therefore, a need to develop potent antiviral agents for treating
EV infection exists.

There are a number of problems- over 70 different subtypes of enteroviruses and rapid mutation. Plecoranil was an early favorite did not pass FDA approval. Pirodavir is undergoing trials now. Rupintavir is a future possibility. Others exist but the outlook doesn't appear to be that good for the virus that some researchers early on thought was the key to this disease

Many potent EV
inhibitors, mentioned earlier, act on various targets in viral replication
cycles. Some have been or are being tested in clinical
trials. These compounds, used alone or in combination, may
have the potential for the treatment of EV infection. To date, no
powerful prophylaxis of non-polio EV infection is available.
No antiviral agent has been approved by the FDA for treating
EVs. The continued development of drugs for the treatment of
enteroviral infection is essential.