• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

another retrovirus causing the same kind of immune problems seen in ME

G

Gerwyn

natural killer cells are greatly reduced in ME, without going into the detailed science ,cell mediated immunity is almost totally inactivated because a gene or genes are somehow silent and dont make the right proteins to make the cell mediated system work properly -----this can set off a chain reaction affecting mitochondria etc The interesting thing is this retrovirus weakens the cell mediated part of the immune system to such a degree as to enable a piggyback infection of epstein barr virus - another frequently documented infection in ME patients.So here we have a retovirus documented only to impair cell mediated immunity which is what XMRV COULD do.Interstingly XMRV ,being a simpler retrovirus to HTLV!, doesn,t encode for gene silencing suppressors so the host cells natural defences against retroviruses could work in XMRV.s favour simple yet sophisticated

Immune suppression in healthy carriers of adult T-cell leukemia retrovirus (HTLV-I): impairment of T-cell control of Epstein-Barr virus-infected B-cells.

Jpn J Cancer Res. 1987 Jul;78(7):639-42. Unique Identifier : AIDSLINE MED/87307634
Katsuki T; Katsuki K; Imai J; Hinuma Y
Abstract: We have examined the activities of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-specific memory T-cells of carriers of adult T-cell leukemia (ATL) associated retrovirus (HTLV-I) and non-carriers in an ATL-endemic area, all of whom were EBV-seropositive, by assay of EBV-induced B-cell focus regression. The result showed that immune suppression, as represented by lowering of the regression, was present in 18 (29%) out of 63 healthy HTLV-I carriers, in contrast to none of 63 matched control persons (healthy non-carriers). This finding suggests that a suppression of cell-mediated immunity is induced by a persistent infection with ATL retrovirus. Keywords: Adult Aged Antigens, Viral/ANALYSIS B-Lymphocytes/*IMMUNOLOGY Carrier State Female Herpesviridae Infections/IMMUNOLOGY Herpesvirus 4, Human/*IMMUNOLOGY Human HTLV-BLV Viruses/*IMMUNOLOGY Immune Tolerance Immunity, Cellular *Immunologic Memory Male Middle Age Support, Non-U.S. Gov't T-Lymphocytes/*IMMUNOLOGY JOURNAL ARTICLE

ukxmrv

I remember that there was a lot of interest about this virus initially but it wasn't found in PWME so it stopped being talked about. A NHS hospital did a test for me (given the Imperial College attempts at XMRV I wonder how good this one was as well..)