• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another is this adrenal fatigue question

Hi all

I recently had a saliva cortisol test with the below results.

Morning 7.8 (lab's range 6.0 - 42.0 nmol/L)
Midday 5.2 (2.0 - 11.0)
Afternoon 3.0 (2.0 - 11.0)
Evening 1.0 (1.0 - 8.0)
Cortisol Daily, Total 17.0 (11.0 - 76.0)
DHEAS Profile Morning 9.5 (5.0 - 30.0)
DHEAS/Cortisol AM Ratio 1.22 (0.2 - 0.6)

Also Serum Cortisol back in July was high (blood taken @ 9:30 AM) 593 (170-550).

I've got numerous symptoms which I've posted in a different thread but I'd really appreciate some feedback on my saliva test results.

My current most worrying symptoms include muscle atrophy and muscle weakness along with a lot of muscle twitching.

Cheers

Tammy

To me it does look like you have adrenal fatigue.......some of the numbers are very low...............they don't necessarily have to be under range to have adrenal fatigue.

The only reliable/valid saliva test for cortisol is at night
Only a medical professional should interpret your results

Hi Barb, thanks for your reply. Oh, this is disappointing. My holistic doctor prescribed this test but didn't mention anything about night time cortisol. What time at night should the saliva test be done? My latest test was at 8:00pm. Anyway the results were interpreted both by the lab and my doctor as adrenal fatigue. I sure don't want to have this issue but at least if I do have it then it may help to explain some of my symptoms that I'm struggling with.

some of the numbers are very low
Hi Tammy, thanks for your reply too. To me all the numbers look too low, even the midday result. But then I don't really understand what all this means. I'm curious about the DHEAS too, I haven't had testosterone checked but maybe that DHEAS result being on the low side could be explaining the muscle weakness if it's causing low T as well. Anyway all the tests will be repeated in Feb 2016.

Hi Sickfromaus,

I'm currently experiencing the same exact symptoms you are but it has been going on for about 3 months now, or at least that's when I've noticed. Muscle atrophy, weakness, all blood work seems to be within in range, fatigue after short periods of exercise, very strange. Are you able to go to work still, because I've been so fatigued as of late I had to take a month off and am running out of options. Doctors are puzzled.

Hi Jimmy

@jimmyfromseattle Sorry to hear you're also in the same boat as me. I can still work but I struggle heaps to get my backside out of bed every morning, then at work during the afternoon I'm very tired. A lot of the time my sleep is crap.

The most recent fun from whatever it is I've got is pain in my hands, between the fingers, and the fingers themselves. I'm quite sore between the index and middle fingers when I spread them apart. And the twitching just won't stop. My hands have aged heaps over the past year or so.

One area that is improving for me, albeit quite slowly, is my gut. I've taken Nexium for about 15 years and this is now my second attempt at getting off the stuff. So far this time it has been about 2 months since I last had a Nexium. I still struggle with heartburn sometimes and of course I worry a lot about what this might be doing to my esophagus. But the heartburn has reduced a lot.

I'm using sauerkraut and kefir and kombucha for probiotics, I'm gluten free, and if it wasn't for the kefir I'd also be dairy free. I've found that I have a fructose intolerance and my doctor still suspects I have sibo because the lactulate test showed a fast rise in hydrogen. The only test that was ok was lactose. I've changed my diet heaps under the guidance of my doctor.

And then there's my saliva cortisol results, I still don't know what to make of those results.

What worries me the most is the intermittent hand and arm weakness and the twitching. And the atrophy just doesn't make sense, I haven't got a clue what's going on. A wonderful way to live my life!

Cheers mate.

Hi Sickfromaus,
Hi to all and espically to jimmy
were you able to find what exactly are you dealing with ? based on all of the symptoms you have mentioned
you are all welcome to replay
I'm currently experiencing the same exact symptoms you are but it has been going on for about 3 months now, or at least that's when I've noticed. Muscle atrophy, weakness, all blood work seems to be within in range, fatigue after short periods of exercise, very strange. Are you able to go to work still, because I've been so fatigued as of late I had to take a month off and am running out of options. Doctors are puzzled.

Hi Sickfromaus,