• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anemia of iron deficiency symptoms with apparent normal lab tests

trollo

Hello everybody. I registered in this forum 6 years ago, and explored all about methylation protocols and adrenal fatigue with no success. Now i'm on a new idea about my issues. Just to resume my story: i began to suffer of cronic fatigue in the summer of 2006 when i was 29. A few monthes before that i had a few liver issues, i have no more those lab tests unluckily but i remember my Got ans Gpt were VERY high and my family Dr feared i had Hepatitis and sent me to the infectious illnesses repart in a hospital where they made a few tests but i had not Hepatitis. But when i told them i was assuming an antidepressant they told then that my labs could be"normal" because the drug could have been the cause for those results... Shortly after that episode my Psychiatrist chenged my antideppressant with Prozac and i started to have lot of side effects. It was in that weeks that i started to suffer of hypersomnia, i was sleepy all day long and i used to sleep 14 hours day.

My psichiatrist made me stop the Prozac but the fatigue didn't stop. I started to feel badly at the gym, i used to become cyanotic or grey-like in face and i had like collapses. I had to lay on the floor to restore my energy for a few minutes. I never suffered those issues at gym before. I continued to suffer fatigue wich was believed by Drs simply depression and i was put another time on antidepressants but with poor or no results (but nobody except me understood that drugs were useless). In 2009 i strarted to suffer of irritability , excitability and insomnia wich i felt as totally unrelated to my mood. Obviously Drs attributed that to anxiety but anti-anxiety drugs had effect on anxiety but no effect at all on excitability and insomnia. Then i began as well to be very sensitive to cold temperatures, expecially in my hands (less at feet) and this is very strange because in my whole life i always suffered hot temperatures and was resistant to cold ones.

A year later i began to suffer of occasional chest pain, irregular heartbeats, shortness of breath all with no apparent correlation to mood changes. Also i began to have very poor immune functions and i began to recover very slowly from flues, every time i took one i needed weeks to recover cause a mild fever (37,2-3) persisted with evening malaise for at least 3 weeks. In 2011 i had flue for 4 monthes, my internist found a HBV reactivation wich has been considered the cause. I had mild fever episodes of few weeks untill 2013 when i had another long flu that this time lasted 6 monthes. No HBV reactivation was found this time and my internist simply didn't find any cause for that... Then since 2014 i began to do a few things wich improved my health and cold tolerance a bit: i practiced Qi Gong, went to an "adrenal fatigue Dr" and changed my diet. I was vegetarian since 1993 (when i was 16). But i still suffered of fatigue, insomnia, irritability etc. I had even a few sporadic episodes of Restless legs syndrome wich everytime lasted about a week. Then i began to point out to iron deficiency but my lab tests were unclear.

Recently i discovered my insomnia was partially caused by breath problems during sleep: i used to wake up during night very alert and stay 2-3 hours awake before being able to fall asleep. When i began to use nose patches i began to sleep normally. Then i pointed out to Hypoxia and found out that many of my symptoms could be correlated to that.
Basically most of my symptoms are (or have been):

Fatigue. I need to sleep at least 9-10 hours otherwise i wake up devastated, with headache, chest pain, sore eyes , fatigue and weakness, shortness of breath. All this symptoms persist untill 8:00 pm, then i become alert and cannot fell asleep later. The less i sleep the more difficult will be falling asleep the night in a vicious circle.

Cold. I can not stand cold, i have to wear many clothes, some years i had to wear wool gloves at home with 15 C° temperature outside. Generally i always wear gloves outside unless there are temperatures higher than 20 C°. The first years i began to suffer cold temperatures my fingers (hands and feet) often began swollen and painful because of cold.

I began to have very brittle and frail nails in feet, and i have the nail in my right hand's thumb which seems to have a beginning of koilonychia, or at least it look similar to pictures i saw on the web. Obviously the nail developed this form in the last 10 years. https://goo.gl/images/Nma3TC

There have been years where i suffered of unrelated-to-mood-changes chest pain and/or extrasystoles, lump in my throat and/or shortness of breath. As i said after 2014 my health improved a bit and some of these stopped.

Restless legs syndrome episodes, very violent, not only in legs but sometimes in arms as well or in the back or whole body. Never lasted for more than 10 days (luckily).

Cognitive issues, brain fog, memory issues, focus deficit, big problems to read.

I used to wake up very alert after 4-5 hours of sleep and cannot fall asleep for 2-3 hours (i usually spent this time at bed). This issue is mainly solved since i began to use nose-patches during sleep. I suffer since i was a teen of turbinates hypertrophy that obstruct my nostrils partially (no sleep apnea was detected in polysomnography).

I someway suspect that because of my nostrils obstructions i could have began to have hypoxia and anemia symptoms in presence of a mild functional iron deficiency.

I also have low blood pressure 48/60 - 90, and i suffer of orthostatic hypotension, i fainted a pair of times. I had two major headache episodes (apart from the usual mild headaches when i don t sleep at least 9 hours) due to lack of sleep occurred in 2013 manifestated with scintillating scotoma and a terribly violent headache.

About my lab tests: <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/Snot999/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>
Here you should see all tests since 2006 in cronological order.
i only tested Transferrine once and strangely it were a bit low considering the other results... also i read in a study on Restless leg syndrome that with it iron deficiency must be considered even with ferritin level as high as 100...
i don't know i wonder if maybe i could have some iron metabolism issue, maybe something about the transport of iron to the tissues... The last lab Test was done after 1 month and a half of assuming Sideral 14 mg day wich is a sucrosomial iron supplement, that's why ferritin rose to 110. I'm still assuming it with a tiny amount of folinic acid (100 mcg) and 200 mcg of adenosyl/hydroxy b12.

Attachments

• IMG_20190402_004727.jpg
    IMG_20190402_004727.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190402_004805.jpg
    IMG_20190402_004805.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20190402_004822.jpg
    IMG_20190402_004822.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20190402_004829.jpg
    IMG_20190402_004829.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Hip

Hi @trollo, you might like to break up your above post into paragraphs of around 3 or 4 lines, as many ME/CFS patients have trouble reading large blocks of text.

I suffer since i was a teen of turbinates hypertrophy that obstruct my nostrils partially (no sleep apnea was detected in polysomnography).

I was told laSt week I have turbinates hypertrophy as well. First doctor to tell me this after 3 years of CFS... I have also huge tonsils with holes. Plus, I have high ASLO (around 430). ASLO is the only thing that is not normal in my blood tests and it has been all my life above its range. I know I don't breathe properly (also have broken nasal septum) but I dont know whether this could be compromising my sleep, I think my problem with sleeping is more pain related. I usually sleep around 4 hours per night...

In 3 weeks this doctor will make radiofrequency for shrinking my turbinates and tonsils. Also, he will give me a vaccine for fighting ASLO. He says there is a possibility that this could be causing my CFS. Never heard ASLO could create ME...

trollo

I was told laSt week I have turbinates hypertrophy as well. First doctor to tell me this after 3 years of CFS... I have also huge tonsils with holes. Plus, I have high ASLO (around 430). ASLO is the only thing that is not normal in my blood tests and it has been all my life above its range. I know I don't breathe properly (also have broken nasal septum) but I dont know whether this could be compromising my sleep, I think my problem with sleeping is more pain related. I usually sleep around 4 hours per night...

In 3 weeks this doctor will make radiofrequency for shrinking my turbinates and tonsils. Also, he will give me a vaccine for fighting ASLO. He says there is a possibility that this could be causing my CFS. Never heard ASLO could create ME...

I never done ASLO tests. About me i strongly doubt the only breath problem could disrupt that way my sleep because during the day i don t feel like i can not breath... i feel like i have hypoxia symptoms but my nostrils obstruction is not that bad otherwise i would have sleep apnea and i haven't. Yes it could be possible during the night in horizontal position my turbinates could swell further and i could not be conscious of this but again a polysomnography should have detected that. And also, i never read that breath obstructions or apnea can cause restless legs syndrome which is often caused by iron deficiency. Then, this was my thought, iron deficiency involves both neurological problems like rls and poor delivery of oxygen to tissues (through hemoglobin), so maybe with a non optimal iron state my breath issues could cause hypoxia symptoms even if with better iron state one would not develop them...

About the tests: the word "sideremia" and "ferro" are the same test, that means "iron". About the other tests i thing it s quite similar to english