• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

And Another Hope Bites The Dust: Coronavirus immunity can start to fade away within weeks ….

YippeeKi YOW !!

It seems like the good news just wont stop rolling in .... here's a little more of the uncertainty/contradictions whirling around the ever widening vortex of COVID and COVID research....

Coronavirus immunity can start to fade away within weeks, according to a new study which puts a 'nail in the coffin' in the idea of herd immunity
https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-immunity-start-fade-away-121036007.html

ljimbo423

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
It seems like the good news just wont stop rolling in .... here's a little more of the uncertainty/contradictions whirling around the ever widening vortex of COVID and COVID research....

Coronavirus immunity can start to fade away within weeks, according to a new study which puts a 'nail in the coffin' in the idea of herd immunity
https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-immunity-start-fade-away-121036007.html

I found the same thing with my EBV antibody test (immunity). I think it may be due to high nagalase inhibiting the immune system. In 2007 I had a positive test then after getting HSV6 all my subsequent EBV tests were negative. This was after I had confirmed mononucleosis. I think ME patients could be in trouble here Yippeeki. They would definitely get re-infected if they don't have a high enough antibody load and have to deal with repeating covid infections. Even if one is normal they have to get two covid infections to build up enough antibody for immunity, just like vaccine booster shots.

Booble

Of all the vaccine possibilities I'm least enthusiastic about the Moderna one. I have a hard time trusting this venture capital backed new-fangled method one. I hope one of the others makes good progress, though being VC silicon-valley style company Moderna will likely get all the press and thus be allowed to make the big splash.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Of all the vaccine possibilities I'm least enthusiastic about the Moderna one.
I agree ..... there's something aout the speed with which it was put together that smacks of, as the old Greeks used to say, " .... a sop to Cerberus ...".

I'm not holding my breath .....

I actually have no idea what the old Greeks used to say, but since none of them are around anymore to correct me :rolleyes: :D ......

YippeeKi YOW !!

@andyguitar
They mentioned cell memory potential in the article, so it's clearly a positive.

At this point, I'm almost as afraid of any potential vaccine, whipped up in the frantic whirlpool of Fear Of Missing Out on this lucrative and fear-driven enterprize, as I am of COVID ....

This virus, and the human body it invades, are both complex, difficult to decode, systems. A speedily produced vaccine is almost a shoo-in for The Law of Unintended Consequences....

And then there's the fact that the vaccine's protection, at least as it seems now, will have to be repeated annually, possible more often for the greatly-at-risk.

It just makes me ..... nervous.

DAMN ..... I wrote this at least 3 hors ago and found it still in Reply box .... just DAMN !!!!

andyguitar

And then there's the fact that the vaccine's protection, at least as it seems now, will have to be repeated annually, possible more often for the greatly-at-risk.
But on the other hand........ Covid might not mutate in the way that flu virus does so the vaccine wont need to be changed, AND B cell memory might last a lifetime. That is what I think will happen.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Covid might not mutate in the way that flu virus does so the vaccine wont need to be changed, AND B cell memory might last a lifetime.
The need for frequent vaccinations has nothing to do with viral mutating or B Cell memory, which has little effect on direct immunity, but with the fact that the antibody protection noted to date tends to apparently fade pretty quickly.

Hence the need to re-esdtablish antibodies at a fairly frequent rate ...