• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ampicillin, Probiotics and Group B Strep

awkwardlymodern

Forcing the past to blend with the future
@cafe I had the white film too, until my dental cleaning and the ampicillin, and I found adding amoxicillin helps even more. I'm taking both now and the film is gone. Haven't tried ranitidine or cimetidine, but don't have any evidence of EBV infection.

Very strange, I have found the exact same correlation between filmy mouth and general health.

This could lend further support to the strep theory in your case, and/or it could be a candida issue--I've had oral thrush a couple times and there is definitely a continuum between white "coated tongue" and acute oral thrush--the two look different, but sometimes mild candida overgrowth can show only as a white coated tongue. I also take Diflucan with my antibiotics because otherwise I'd be drowning in candida!

@awkwardlymodern antifungals never helped me- neither in a general way nor with my white-coated tongue. I tried antifungals several times as they were prescribed by my doctor. So I don´t think it is a candida problem in my case. When I got sick in 2004 I had really high temperature (around 40°C = 104F) and a sore throat next to other symptoms. There was at no time any sort of diagnostics involved- so I wonder if this could have been a strep throat? Are there any very specific indicators -just from looking at it?

nandixon

Also injecting the ampicillin would defeat the purpose--to achieve highest concentration in the gut, where the overgrowth is concentrated.
Just to cross-reference things, it looks as though @physicsstudent13 may have tried the injection with this new thread he started:
Ampicillin increases GLT-1 expression

He gives a couple of articles that describe the ability of β-lactam antibiotics (e.g., ampicillin, amoxicillin, ceftriaxone, etc.) to potently increase glutamate transporter expression in animal models. Thus, those antibiotics may have some ability to reduce the harmful effects of excess glutamate.

awkwardlymodern

Forcing the past to blend with the future
@awkwardlymodern antifungals never helped me- neither in a general way nor with my white-coated tongue. I tried antifungals several times as they were prescribed by my doctor. So I don´t think it is a candida problem in my case. When I got sick in 2004 I had really high temperature (around 40°C = 104F) and a sore throat next to other symptoms. There was at no time any sort of diagnostics involved- so I wonder if this could have been a strep throat? Are there any very specific indicators -just from looking at it?

A picture is worth a thousand words in this case...sorry to gross you out, but this is EXACTLY what my tonsils looked like for months, before they were removed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streptococcal_pharyngitis.

The most common indication of strep is the exudate. It isn't always there, but there are also other signs listed.

I had so many candida issues so I'm always suspicious..some strains of candida are resistant to antifungals, especially fluconazole. If they didn't work, though, it seems more likely that the white coating could be from strep throat, or another bacterial infection.

@awkwardlymodern I have never had much of the exudate, although when it all started there were those white spots on my tonsils. But I do have petechia, like shown in the second picture in the second row. Actually this is how my throat looks quite often! Well, I should definitely do a strep testing....