• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

American Medical Association to Pursue Post Viral Diagnosis and Research

Rufous McKinney

This is pretty exciting news...almost earthshaking...revolutionary if they succeed.......

from the American Medical Association...June 16, 2021

https://www.ama-assn.org/press-cent...-better-diagnose-and-treat-long-haul-covid-19

CHICAGO — With millions of people in the United States experiencing post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC), also known as long-haul COVID, and millions more expected to suffer from the condition, the American Medical Association (AMA) today adopted policy during the Special Meeting of its House of Delegates aimed at improving the assessment, diagnosis, and awareness of post viral syndromes.

Specifically, the new policy calls for the AMA to advocate for legislation to provide funding for research, prevention, control, and treatment of post viral syndromes and long-term sequelae associated with viral infections, such as COVID-19. Under the policy, the AMA will provide physicians and medical students with accurate and current information on post-viral syndromes and collaborate with other medical and educational entities to promote education among patients about post viral syndromes—helping minimize the harm and disability current and future patients face.
“There is much we still don’t know about COVID-19 and while many people with COVID-19 recover in the weeks following illness, we’re seeing patients experiencing symptoms that either last, or appear, many weeks or months after becoming infected,” said AMA Board Member Sandra Adamson Fryhofer, M.D. “Yet, our country currently lacks the necessary resources to adequately support and provide expert care to patients with long-haul COVID. That’s why we must continue following the science and conducting research so we can better understand the short and long-term health impacts of this novel illness.”
The new policy aims to improve the clinical definitions of post viral syndromes and identify the evidence necessary to appropriately assess all conditions and organ systems affected, as well as the associated behavioral health conditions. According to recent publications, 10-30% of individuals who had COVID-19 reported at least one persistent symptom six months after their infection was cleared. Individuals with long-haul COVID may experience varied and chronic symptoms including neurologic, cognitive, cardiopulmonary, constitutional, musculoskeletal, psychiatric, and mobility impairments. Ongoing and future long-haul COVID research results, that are inclusive of all populations, including people with disabilities and underlying health conditions, are needed in real-time to support providers through rapid development and widespread dissemination of best practices for long-haul COVID care.

Media Contact:
Kelly Jakubek
ph: (312) 464-4443
kelly.jakubek@ama-assn.org

Last edited:

andyguitar

Specifically, the new policy calls for the AMA to advocate for legislation to provide funding for research, prevention, control, and treatment of post viral syndromes and long-term sequelae associated with viral infections, such as COVID-19.
Pretty big news @Rufous McKinney how do you rate their chances of getting the Government to come up with the funding?

SNT Gatchaman

This is pretty exciting news...almost earthshaking...revolutionary if they succeed.......

Yes. I'm just hoping this gets applied to us!

I think it will - it has to. Scientists, clinicians and other doctors look for patterns to explain observations and the link between COVID and ME/CFS would be a hard one to ignore. I'm confident we are at an inflection point of medical and political change for this disease - a silver lining in the COVID nimbostratus.

Now let's see it apply globally with supporting statements from e.g. the European medical associations.

wabi-sabi

think it will - it has to.
I wish I had your optimism. I'm holding out hope, and I know many people are working on it, but part of me has been sick too long.
Scientists, clinicians and other doctors look for patterns to explain observations and the link between COVID and ME/CFS would be a hard one to ignore.
I get what you're saying but.... Some of my current team doesn't even recognize ME/CFS as a clinical entity. It's going to be hard for them to see patterns with something they don't believe exists.

wabi-sabi

Scientists, clinicians and other doctors look for patterns to explain observations
And some of them see the wrong pattern, i.e. that they are both psychosomatic illnesses, like all those articles in the Guardian point out.

I'm just still having a crash, so I'm feeling a bit more pessimistic than usual. I do hope you are right.

Rufous McKinney

1) the most money we have ever seen is soon to be unleashed on long haul covid and something there has to spill over onto us;
2)the most public awareness we've gained to date- a few people actually now understand something exists called long, chronic and does not sound fun.
3)actual discussions in many arenas on the shortcomings of modern medicine.
4) we have multiple labs, multiple clinicians in multiple countries, and we are far LESS abandoned than ever before.

I think we could at least feel slightly encouraged right now.