• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amenamevir: Novel antiviral against herpes virus family approved in Japan

Wonkmonk

"The product is an anti-herpes virus agent with a novel mechanism of action created by Astellas Pharma Inc. (“Astellas”; Head Office: Tokyo, President and CEO: Yoshihiko Hatanaka). The product has been observed to inhibit the proliferation of the varicella-zoster virus (hereinafter VZV) by inhibiting the activity of the helicase-primase complex, which is essential for viral DNA replication. […]The product is proven to be effective against VZV when administered once a day after meals. […] General administration for adults is 400mg of amenamevir once a day administered orally after a meal"

https://www.maruho.co.jp/english/release/nek5p40000001vpv-att/20170703_pr_eng.pdf

Hip

Looks like www.mimaki-family-japan.com sell amenamevir (Amenalief), but it is not cheap at $720 for 14 x 200 mg tablets.

By the way, I was not able to load the website of Mimaki Japanese Family pharmacy from the UK, nor from the Netherlands via VPN (it is temporarily blocked in the EU due to GDPR issues, although it does ship to the EU).

But was able to load the site when using a VPN in the US and Canada.

Last edited:

Wonkmonk

So that's probably meant to be a 7-day course for treating shingles. Costs for long-term use at the recommended dose would be way too high for most people.

Maybe the exchange rate makes it more expensive and it gets more affordable when a local version is available, but it's still going to be very expensive.

I am wondering if amenamevir could block herpes virus replication in early replication stages. Dr Lerner pointed out that, as he thinks incomplete early herpes virus gene products cause CFS in some patients, that if his theory is correct, patients could improve much more quickly and comprehensively with a drug that stops early replication steps. Valacyclovir and famciclovir only stop late replication steps and therefore, according to Dr Lerner, are only limited in their effectiveness.

So maybe amenamevir could be used to test his theory.

Wonkmonk

I am wondering if amenamevir could block herpes virus replication in early replication stages.

If I am understanding this correctly, this is in fact what amenamevir does (emphasis added):

"Helicase-primase inhibitors (HPIs) inhibit the progression of the replication fork, an initial step in DNA synthesis to separate the double strand into two single strands."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29451274

Hip

When ME/CFS in linked to active varicella-zoster virus (VZV) infection (which may produce shingles blisters, even just one or two blisters), Dr John Chia finds that patients can dramatically improve within weeks on acyclovir. See timecode 6:58 in this video interview with Dr Chia.

So when ME/CFS is due to VZV, acyclovir (or Valtrex) treatment may be all you need.

Wonkmonk

FYI: My local pharmacy says they can order Amenamevir 200mg, 14 tablets, directly from the manufacturer at a cost of ~350€.

If anyone is interested, I can provide contact details. They should accept EU prescriptions and be ready to ship abroad for a fee, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Anyway, if my pharmacy can get it, I'd assume others in the EU can, too.

Wonkmonk

In case anyone is interested in this drug: I tried it for a few weeks and it didn't help, and I even had the feeling of getting worse.

So I concluded it doesn't help me. I also don't think it would have helped if I had taken it for a longer time. One can never know, but it didn't feel that way at all and other anti-herpetic drugs had no significant benefit for me in the long-term, so this one probably doesn't either.

At least I didn't feel any side effects. I tolerated it very well (apart from my CFS symptoms getting slightly worse).

Forummember9922

Swapping my Valtrex for Amenavir in the next week or two.

I think the latest Prusty stuff had some more than expected mentioning of HSV1, so I think it could be interesting to see how this goes - as Amenavir does not require viral reactivation like Valtrex.

My first ever hsv outbreak came with CFS onset but who knows whats the chicken or the egg.

The price is a buzzkill though as has been stated

Also, I tried ordering Amenalief from Indiamart vendors twice and both of them were scams. Perhaps when the patent for Amenalief expires next August it will become cheaper. If anyone happens to know a better source than the Japanese manufacturer charging >500 for 14 pills please advise.

I will try 100mg daily. I see there are synergistic effects with valtrex so maybe I will do a each and monitor kidneys. or something.

Last edited:

Forummember9922

Amenalief update 1 week- Causes me extreme lightheadnesses.

Not particularly like I am about to faint but rather I cannot think/accomplish tasks and have negative 50 IQ- even at 1/4 of the 200mg pill.

Not sure how to proceed as it's pretty annoying.

Would like to be able to ride it out for a month just to see. My HSV related pain which only began after CFS onset has not subsided. (Nor did first dose of Sadbe help)

I did get some first-ever blisters with the onset of this pain so it's very likely that the pain source is indeed HSV1. I am also negative for hsv2.

Keeping an eye on upcoming GSK mrna vaccine targeted towards HSV2 that may have cross protection. Actually I would be extremely grateful if anyone here had the time to share their thoughts on that specific issue- how likely it may be that the upcoming GSK HSV vax may also help hsv1.

This is the most nitty gritty thing i could find on its mechanisms

Cheers

EDIT: The brain fog/light headedness continues after stopping Amenalief. Will update when I conclude what it was from.

Last edited:

Forummember9922

A second trial of Amenalief for just a few days resulted in the same very bad brain fog. Didn't even take the full pill each day. This time with a little kidney pain as well.

Which made me wonder is that pain from Antivirals- or from the Antivirals killing something in the Kidney that is angry/ a herx? Either way I am backing off for now. Maybe give it another shot down the road with very low doses. Seeking to try Pritelivir soon.

godlovesatrier

What Hip said, Bansal also uses acloyvir as a blanket drug but he does prescribe it for VZV - I actually knew a lady who had it reactivate after covid, told her that the prognosis on acloyvir was very good compared to nothing at all. Sadly not in contact with her anymore.

Anyway this drug should be broad spectrum I guess, but dna viruses just pop right back up again.