• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amazon Smile Ending

Nacht Segler

ME/CFS Since Early 2000s

lenora

This is annoying to know....especially since the program only netted a fairly small portion to charity - (something like 1%). I double checked this on Snopes.com only to find out that February 20th is the last day of the charity.

I also found out that Walmart and Target each have their own charity programs (not very well advertised, are they?). I'll try to research them and will get back to you on this.

Interesting to hear Amazon say that the program did not reach it's expectations. What? Well, then increase the amount given. In addition 18,000 employees will lose their jobs. Is this worth the bad feelings it will generate? (I'm talking about the amount of money going to charity.) Some companies really rely on this donation.

We also buy a lot from Amazon....this whole process will have to be rethought. Yours, Lenora

Nacht Segler

ME/CFS Since Early 2000s
This is annoying to know....especially since the program only netted a fairly small portion to charity - (something like 1%). I double checked this on Snopes.com only to find out that February 20th is the last day of the charity.

It is, and thanks for double checking and getting the date. AP is bare bones reporting and I wanted to link my search results but couldn't seem to be able to. I wanted to get a date and knew it was around this time from what I remember having read in many places, but didn't know exactly.

I also found out that Walmart and Target each have their own charity programs (not very well advertised, are they?). I'll try to research them and will get back to you on this.

No they aren't. I think they're mentioned in the AP article I linked, from what I recall, but one of them just has "rounding to the nearest dollar". I don't know about choosing specific ones like we could with Smile.

Ok. Thanks for doing more digging and getting back with the results.

Interesting to hear Amazon say that the program did not reach it's expectations. What? Well, then increase the amount given. In addition 18,000 employees will lose their jobs. Is this worth the bad feelings it will generate? (I'm talking about the amount of money going to charity.) Some companies really rely on this donation.

Really.😐 The amount seemed paltry given Mr. My Yacht Is Too Big's monetary gains, but I figured something is better than nothing. I genuinely have a "love-hate" relationship with Amazon. I would probably have never really gotten into it had I not wound up with a Kindle for Christmas back in 2011/12. Damned thing became a gateway drug.

It's just that for me, and I am sure many others, the ability to buy many things of many types all under one "roof" so to speak, and get free shipping to boot, well, that's nothing to shake the proverbial stick at (particularly those of us in rural and rural-ish areas).

lenora

Amazon is great for its shipping program (not free & going up in price). However, delivery is great and the company is great about anything you complain about if it's defective. Money back, no problem and most of the time they don't even want the product back.

So in case Amazon thinks the Smile program hasn't been appreciated, please note that we have purchased a lot from your company as a result of it. Do keep it....really, it's a small thing in the overall profit scheme. Yours, Lenora P.S. Some of the products have gone way up in price....please be aware of this & comparison shop if necessary.

Nacht Segler

ME/CFS Since Early 2000s
Amazon is great for its shipping program (not free & going up in price).

I've gotten free shipping, but I buy a lot at a time. There are times when one item out of all of them is shipped separately (independently) and I wind up paying a small shipping price. For example - a lamp I got I had to pay like $4-5, which still isn't bad considering.

YippeeKi YOW !!

So in case Amazon thinks the Smile program hasn't been appreciated,
They really don't care about whther we appreciate it or not, or threaten to boycott them for cutting it. They're all about the jing. And there's way more tax-bang-for-you-buck when it's all lumped together in one big chunk, rather than the $30 to Homes For Unwed Cats or Oxfam or No Child Hungry ..... or Phoenix Rising.

They'll keep the donation program going, but they'll determine where the money goes .... personally, I think I'll be withdrawing ....

Jessie~

I use Amazon Smile, and Phoenix Rising is my chosen charity. I was really mad when I read that they are taking it away.

I don’t think I will participate in it any longer. I feel bitter about it right now.