• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amazing Video!!! Must See!!!

Enid

Powerful viewing - thanks for bringing all this together. Go it ! our friends across the Pond.

muffin

DOES anyone know who did this video?

I just posted the video here since I thought it was brilliant. But I don't know who did the video.
Does anyone KNOW who did this video????

I emailed them via Youtube to ask if our group could put their video on our website but have not heard back yet from that brilliant person(s).

Everyone who watches this video is blown away. Really puts this disese into a wider prospective.

Anyone know who did this video????????

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Someone who really knows what they were doing made this. It has all the production values of a Hollywood movie. I'd say someone who is a bit of a professional with audio/sound tracks and has access to some high quality kit! Love the X-Filey feel to the XMRV graphics. The SW comment was particularly damning! Thank you - its brilliant.

alex3619

Hi muffin

While they had a section on tomorrow, I would have liked to have seen something like: XMRV: 2011? (waits 3s); XRMV: 2012? (waits 2s); XMRV: 2013? (Waits 1s). XMRV: 2014? (fades to) 2015 ... 2016 ... 2017?2018?2019?2020? (and the screen goes crazy with dates and question marks). Then: When are we going to stop this? (In large red letters.)

This is just an idea in case anyone will be making clips in the future. Feel free to use this one, or not.

Also something interesting that I think should be pointed to: how many sick people have the virus? Its probably not just CFS, and could be an additional several percent - we need to know.

Bye
Alex

PS I think its excellent but too slow in parts. A little more fast paced subliminal action would make it work better for a non-CFS audience. However, it is very polished, and reminds me of an old documentary on CFS that had something vaguely similar, and I absolutely loved the soundtrack.

muffin

Post this video all over the internet! Everyone must see it! Meaning of chant.

The amount of time, energy and deep knowledge that went into this video is obvious. It is brilliant. It hits home. Post it everywhere. I do believe that this video is a true Public Service Video since it gives a great timeline of the clusters/outbreaks from 1934 to 2010. It also discusses the CDC and XMRV. The public worldwide must know about ALL of this. This video gives that history and information and does so very powerfully. I am captivated by this video and the music behind it.

I do suggest that you give it an introduction so that people know what they are about to view.
I have used the various Buzz-up, Tipd, Facebook, etc sites to get this out further. Please also try to get it everywhere and add the background info as well.

This brilliant person knew exactly what s/he was doing. The chant, Koyaanisqatsi, is the Hopi word translated as "life of moral corruption and turmoil" or "crazy life" "life in turmoil", "life out of balance", "life disintegrating", "a state of life that calls for another way of living". That chant captures for me, my life with ME/CFS. It also hits at the evil of those that have damaged and demeaned us for decades and had every intention of allowing countless millions more innocent people worldwide to become sick with ME/CFS, other diseases and cancers. I'm not religious, but I would say that the Devil's hand is indeed at work.

As noted, from the movie soundtrack by Albert De Ruiter, Michael Riesman, The Philip Glass Ensemble & The Western Wind Vocal Ensemble - Koyaanisqatsi: Koyaanisqatsi.
See below from Wiki about the movie and the chant.

Koyaanisqatsi (English pronunciation: /ˈkɔɪ.ɑːnɪsˈkɑːtsiː/ KOY-ah-nis-KAHT-see), also known as Koyaanisqatsi: Life out of Balance, is a 1982 film directed by Godfrey Reggio with music composed by Philip Glass and cinematography by Ron Fricke.
The film consists primarily of slow motion and time-lapse stock footage of cities and many natural landscapes across the United States. The visual tone poem contains neither dialogue nor a vocalized narration: its tone is set by the juxtaposition of images and music. Reggio explains the lack of dialog by stating "it's not for lack of love of the language that these films have no words. It's because, from my point of view, our language is in a state of vast humiliation. It no longer describes the world in which we live."[6] In the Hopi language, the word Koyaanisqatsi means "crazy life, life in turmoil, life out of balance, life disintegrating, a state of life that calls for another way of living".

XMRV - REQUIEM FOR A SPECTRE
SuddenOnset

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_JUiMjKxzw

I am besotted with the brilliant person who did this video!!!

helsbells

Muffin i am with you totally the music alone with the voice overs!! I just love it for its own sake regardless of message

Jenny

It's very well done, but the question it posed for me was - what evidence is there that all these outbreaks of illness have the same cause? Isn't it likely that some do and some don't? I would need to know much more about symptoms etc. We get epidemics of viral illnesses all the time.

Won't doctors viewing this raise this issue and be sceptical of the whole video?

Jenny

muffin

Question Everything! Think for yourself, be grateful a new door was opened

I may miss the mark here but I went and looked up all the medical terms cited in the video to see what the symptoms were and if they matched the current ME/CFS symptoms. From all that I read from different medical sources, those different names/nomenclatures did match up with ME/CFS symptoms. Were they ME/CFS and/or Retrovirus involved? Who knows but they did occur in clusters and the symptoms seemed to fit pretty tightly. But again, we don't know since those clusters were long ago when medicine was still quite young and the more sophisticated tests that we have now - such as they are - were not yet developed. Probably the doctors back then did what they are still doing now - ruling out the usual suspects and looking at the symptoms and then naming the cluster outbreaks based on those symptoms and/or location of the cluster.

Of course people will question this video and whether the cluster outbreaks were indeed ME/CFS/Retrovirus in origin. I did. Because we still do not have a solid means to test and diagnose ME/CFS other than rule out/look at symptoms, it is impossible to state definitively that the cluster outbreaks of decades ago were ME/CFS. Not much change in the medical arena for diagnosing ME/CFS. But given the same ME/CFS symptoms in those cluster outbreaks as we see today, I believe that those cluster outbreaks were ME/CFS or possibly a mutation of what ever causes ME/CFS - or a mutation in the Retrovirus(es) that we now believe probably causes ME/CFS.

We have imperfect information on all of this including today's Retrovirus family. So question away. You should not just swallow anything without going and researching and thinking for yourself.
Now, in your own research if you come across books, journals, newspaper articles or even doctor's notes placed in some obscure archive, alert us. I have looked for all of those and could not find them.

At this point, with very imperfect information, I do believe many of those clusters were probably ME/CFS. At this particular point in time - with imperfect information - I do believe that our disease may be caused in whole or in part by this Retrovirus Family. But who knows on either account given that damned imperfect information thing that always changes what we think we know- including ideas that were deemed absolute - like in physics or other hard sciences.

Let everyone question. Let them research and wonder and think. That's GOOD. That is what we want them all to do. Alert them, provide them the observations of that period, and let them go off with something brand new to them. The video basically throws the door open to a new world for many people, including the researchers and physicians who are not aware that there may have been many cluster outbreaks that fit today's ME/CFS symptoms.

I really don't think ME/CFS only started in the 1970's/1980's. I think this may well be an old disease and that this retrovirus family has been around (in different forms) for quite a long time. But that's just my opinion and since NO ONE knows for sure, my opinion is as valid as the next person's opinion - at this point anyway.

When I graduated college, I was handed a button that said "Question Authority". I've been questioning authority since I could open my nasty little mouth so the button just went into the drawer. So, question authority - question everything. And don't let others tell you what to think. Go off and research, wonder, think and draw your own conclusions. Remember, your conclusions will probably change over time with better information, still imperfect, but better. Thats the way it works, or should work anyway.

This is a great video! I love the cinematic look and the fantastic haunting music. It really evokes the story of the viral illness of ME/CFS.

Belle