• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternative therapies for treating Serratia marcescens in the Sinuses

Peyt

Hi ,
I have been suffering from Sinusitis and excess mucus all my life, Finally an ENT took a culture of the mucus in my sinuses and the lab results showed I have Serratia marcescens which is a bacteria that is very difficult to get rid of... I then went to a Infectious disease doctor and he prescribed Tobramicyne (spray form) which I took for 10 days as prescribed.... for about a month or 2 I had 75% less headaches and sinus issues, but then it returned back to where it was.....
The ENT thinks I should not do any more antibiotics because it can kill the good bacteria and do more damage.... So was wondering if anyone knows of any alternative / natural remedies?

I just ordered an infrared light. I was told this can help with drying up the mucus and reduce headaches(not a permanent solution but suppose to help manage the symptoms) .... any other suggestions?
Peyton

Lisa108

My boyfriend has chronic sinusitis, tried nearly everything under the sun and even had surgery. The one thing that helps a bit is Lactobacillus sakei. It reduces the severity and the duration of each inflammatory episode.

Here is a blog about L. sakei usage. I don't know if it helps against S. marcescens.

Peyt

My boyfriend has chronic sinusitis, tried nearly everything under the sun and even had surgery. The one thing that helps a bit is Lactobacillus sakei. It reduces the severity and the duration of each inflammatory episode.

Here is a blog about L. sakei usage. I don't know if it helps against S. marcescens.

Thanks. I actually tried L. sakei last year, but I only did it for a week, do you know how long your Bf tried it for? and did he digest it or snort it ?
Thanks

Lisa108

do you know how long your Bf tried it for? and did he digest it or snort it ?

At first he made kimchi. He snorted some of the liquid (from a teaspoon) and ate a bit kimchi every day. I don't recall the duration of that period, but would say maybe a month? [Edit: 1-2 weeks of liquid snorting, around 4 weeks of eating all the home-made kimchi, according to bf.]

Then he tried a product which contains L. sakei and some other Lactobacillus strains, but this didn't help much.

Now he is using this sausage starter culture product. Whenever his sinuses flare up, he is diluting the powder in water and snorts it, 2-3 times a day for 4 days.

He is also using a probiotic for the gut every day.

Maybe other lactobacillus strains are better for treating S. marcescens?

Last edited:

Lisa108

No mention of S. marcescens, but a recent study about Lactobacilli in the sinus microbiome:
Lactobacilli Have a Niche in the Human Nose

Highlights

• Lactic acid bacteria are enriched in the healthy human nose and nasopharynx

Lactobacillus casei AMBR2 is functionally adapted to the upper respiratory tract

L. casei AMBR2 has antimicrobial and immunomodulatory properties

• Live L. casei AMBR2 is safe for intranasal application in healthy humans

Peyt

No mention of S. marcescens, but a recent study about Lactobacilli in the sinus microbiome:
Lactobacilli Have a Niche in the Human Nose
This is very interesting! I got some pure L. Casei powder last year and tried it orally for a couple of days and it did not make me feel good so I stopped... It's still in my fridge... I am gonna try snorting a tiny amount to see how my sinuses react.

Peyt

Hi @Peyt -- Sorry to hear about your serious sinus issues. I would recommend this compelling 6-Min. Video: -- Chronic Sinus Problems? Try the Bulletproof Sinus Rinse. I would also consider nebulizing with any number of safe substances, including dilute hydrogen peroxide, and others. -- Best...
Thank you for this video. I did try a xylitol spray before , it actually helped me sleep better but I would get a headache the next day. I wonder if Xylitol directly in a pot of water (the way shown in the video) would not have that side effect.

Lisa108

Iranian in-vitro study showing effect of L. acidophilus ATCC 4356 and Lactobacillus plantarum ATCC 8014 against S. marcescens.

Another Iranian in-vitro study : biosurfactant derived from Lactobacillus acidophilus ATCC 4356 shows effect against the biofilm of S. marcescens.

And a 3rd one showing "The inhibitory effect of bacteriocin produced by Lactobacillus acidophilus ATCC 4356 and Lactobacillus plantarum ATCC 8014 on planktonic cells and biofilms of Serratia marcescens"

Peyt

Iranian in-vitro study showing effect of L. acidophilus ATCC 4356 and Lactobacillus plantarum ATCC 8014 against S. marcescens.

Another Iranian in-vitro study : biosurfactant derived from Lactobacillus acidophilus ATCC 4356 shows effect against the biofilm of S. marcescens.

And a 3rd one showing "The inhibitory effect of bacteriocin produced by Lactobacillus acidophilus ATCC 4356 and Lactobacillus plantarum ATCC 8014 on planktonic cells and biofilms of Serratia marcescens"
Wow, you are amazing! Thank you so much! I have some L. Acidophilus too, I will be sure to try it.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque

I use a product called Nasobiotex. It is powdered L-Sakei. I mix a TINY amount in distilled water and dip a Q-tip in, then paint the insides of the nasal passages as high as I can. I only use enough water to soak both ends of the Q-tip. For me it works very well but isn’t effective if I use it everyday, so I leave a few days between applications. I find that bedtime is the best time to apply it.