• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alpha-MSH protein, a potential biomarker for CFS - Japan

perrier

Very cool, you've given me a lot to read up on! Did you only use the spray once? The problem with Marcons is that they are covered in biofilm. Is this true for MRSA as well?

I don't know actually, I haven't retested. But I did feel that the BEG Spray helped clear my sinuses quite a bit. I am also hoping that by raising MSH, that should help the body naturally get rid of the Marcons.
Thank you. May I inquire: were you diagnosed with CFS?

Chlorine dioxide is a good mold killer too, so a chlorine dioxide nasal spray might also be effective for treating the chronic mold infections that Dr Brewer thinks ME/CFS patients have in their nasal cavities (Dr Brewer usually prescribes a nasal spray based on the antifungal amphotericin B for destroying nasal mold infections).

Do you think spraying Chlorine Dioxide all over a new apartment/house/living space would help bring mold levels down? I read this study saying it could potentially kill almost every time of mycotoxin:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1214660/

It's a very interesting substance. Lots of people recommend bleach, but bleach has been proven to actually not kill mycotoxins but just make the problem worse.

Chlorine Dioxide also seems to penetrate porous materials. So spraying it on your couch, mattress etc could possibly clean them from mold and mycotoxins. It would be very interesting if this actually worked, as there are no other known substances that will do this from my knowledge.

Hip

Do you think spraying Chlorine Dioxide all over a new apartment/house/living space would help bring mold levels down? I read this study saying it could potentially kill almost every time of mycotoxin:

I came across this video in which chlorine dioxide gas is pumped into a building to kill the mold (chlorine dioxide is a gas at room temperature, but also readily dissolves in water to make a chlorine dioxide solution).

I am not sure how chlorine dioxide gas would compare to ozone gas, which I understand is also used to kill mold (obviously in both cases while there is nobody in the building).

The advantage of gas is that it can permeate into all the nooks and crannies of the building.

I guess a concentrated solution of chlorine dioxide in water would also work to kill mold, but this will bleach any fabric or carpet just like ordinary household bleach (sodium hypochlorite solution) will do. I am not sure if chlorine dioxide solution would be any better than household bleach at killing mold though.

The Staphylococcus paper I mentioned earlier found that chlorine dioxide solution is better than sodium hypochlorite solution (household bleach) at killing Staphylococcus; but that's for Staphylococcus, and mold is a different thing.

In any case, I would not use a spray to apply either chlorine dioxide solution or household bleach to areas of mold, because a recent study found a link between the use of disinfectants and lung disease. It would I think be safer to apply the bleach using a sponge, so that you don't breathe in the bleach.

kewia

Wouldn't an orderable chlorine dioxide solution already solve the problem?
I'm not an expert of % to ppm calculation, but Google said 0.3% are 3000ppm, so it needs to be diluted in order to come to 100ppm.

I tried 0.3% diluted chlorine dioxide solution myself, but I don't inhale it, rather I apply it transdermally.

Wishful

The group also tested the levels of alpha-MSH in the blood of 57 people diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and the blood of 30 healthy people.

Can't the Solve ME organizations convince researchers to use appropriately unhealthy controls? By that I mean people who are forced to follow similar lifestyles (diet, activity, etc) as their ME subjects. I expect that a lot of the differences they might find between PWME and healthy controls are due to lifestyles and downstream effects of being ill.

As others have pointed out, using normal fatigue for testing is probably not valid for modelling ME, which has a fatigue-like symptom.