• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allicin boosts antioxidants while beeing itself one

linusbert

i am studying allicin right now.

found this interesting, its boosting catalase and SOD but also glutathione.
it also can increase NO (nitric oxide).
it also is a super killer against bacteria, kills even MRSA.
its also a supply for sulfur.

chatgpt has this to say about it:
what is the mechanism of allicin in increasing glutathione?

The mechanism by which allicin increases glutathione (GSH) levels in the body is not fully understood, but there are a few proposed mechanisms that have been studied.
One proposed mechanism is that allicin may increase the activity of glutathione-related enzymes. Glutathione-related enzymes, such as glutathione peroxidase and glutathione reductase, are involved in the production and recycling of GSH. Some studies have found that allicin can increase the activity of these enzymes, which may contribute to an increase in GSH levels.
Another proposed mechanism is that allicin may increase the expression of genes involved in GSH synthesis. GSH is synthesized in the body from three amino acids: cysteine, glutamate, and glycine. Some studies have found that allicin can increase the expression of genes involved in the synthesis of these amino acids, which may lead to an increase in GSH levels.
Finally, allicin has been shown to have antioxidant properties, which may help to protect GSH from oxidative damage. GSH is a potent antioxidant that helps to protect cells from oxidative stress, and allicin has been shown to increase the activity of other antioxidants in the body, such as superoxide dismutase and catalase.
Overall, the exact mechanism by which allicin increases GSH levels in the body is not fully understood and is likely multifactorial. However, the proposed mechanisms suggest that allicin may have a positive impact on GSH levels and may help to protect cells from oxidative damage.

so allicin itself is a antioxidant?

Yes, allicin itself has antioxidant properties. Antioxidants are compounds that can neutralize harmful molecules called free radicals, which are produced by normal metabolic processes in the body and can cause damage to cells and tissues.
Allicin is a sulfur-containing compound that is produced when garlic is crushed or chopped. It has been shown to have potent antioxidant activity in several studies. For example, one study found that allicin was able to scavenge a variety of free radicals, including the superoxide anion, hydroxyl radical, and peroxyl radical. Another study found that allicin was able to protect cells from oxidative damage caused by hydrogen peroxide.
In addition to its direct antioxidant activity, allicin has been shown to increase the activity of other antioxidant enzymes in the body, such as superoxide dismutase and catalase. This suggests that allicin may have a synergistic effect with other antioxidants to protect cells and tissues from oxidative damage.
Overall, allicin's antioxidant properties are one of the many reasons why it is believed to have health benefits.

hapl808

It makes a huge difference in my health, but I'm not exactly sure why or how. Unfortunately there's a limit to how much I can take, as very high dosages are hard on my stomach. I generally take as much as my stomach will handle, though.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
The Hormones Matter site talks about Allithiamine being created from garlic but I'm trying to figure out if that means garlic is high in thiamine. I've searched online but the algorithms see "thiamine" and all return sites that are either medical info or thiamine supplements. Not too many mention the two together.

Elliot Overton has some research papers (maybe regarding this) linked in the FB group but he says it's sometimes hard to learn from them because so many papers are still in Japanese and require lengthy interpretation. :(

Any ideas?

hapl808

Not sure the accuracy, but according to ChatGPT:

No, allicin does not contain thiamine. Allicin is an organosulfur compound obtained from garlic that has a thiosulfinate functional group1. Thiamine is a vitamin that has a thiazole ring and a pyrimidine ring2. They have different chemical structures and biological functions.

However, allicin was discovered as part of efforts to create thiamine derivatives in the 1940s, mainly in Japan. Allicin became a model for medicinal chemistry efforts to create other thiamine disulfides. The results included sulbutiamine, fursultiamine (thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide) and benfothiamine1.

The Hormones Matter site talks about Allithiamine being created from garlic but I'm trying to figure out if that means garlic is high in thiamine. I've searched online but the algorithms see "thiamine" and all return sites that are either medical info or thiamine supplements. Not too many mention the two together.

Elliot Overton has some research papers (maybe regarding this) linked in the FB group but he says it's sometimes hard to learn from them because so many papers are still in Japanese and require lengthy interpretation. :(

Any ideas?
According to GEO, a German popular scientific magazine, garlic has 200micrograms thiamine per 100g, which seems to be quite high for non-animal products.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I generally take as much as my stomach will handle, though.

Can you put them inside another capsule or two to try to keep them from releasing in your stomach maybe?

I bought some white acid resistant empty caps on Amazon but they dissolve in my mouth so I'm doubtful that they really are acid resistant but maybe you could find some that really are. ???

It makes a huge difference in my health,

Also what brand do you take?

Last edited: