• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Allen Institute for Immunology

MEPatient345

This is a $125M privately funded research initiative into immune system disorders. They will start by studying the immune system in general, that of healthy people, and also focusing on 5 diseases. Hopefully eventually will include ME. But bound to make very relevant discoveries for us.

https://alleninstitute.org/what-we-...eavor-focused-human-immune-health-and-disease
The Allen Institute for Immunology’s goal is to improve human immune health and lay the groundwork for better ways to diagnose, treat and prevent immune-related diseases. In its initial phase, the Institute will focus on studies of two cancers, multiple myeloma and melanoma, and three autoimmune disorders, rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease, specifically, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. The researchers will also take a deep dive into the immune systems of healthy volunteers with the goal of understanding what makes a “normal” immune baseline and how to help patients return to that healthy state.

Last edited:

MEPatient345

@hixxy It will be good for us regardless.. their approach isn’t limited to only by disease type. Diseases are labeled based on groups of symptoms, and existing diagnostics, but some have a lot of overlap with each other. This approach should break down some boundaries, and find new ways to study immune disease.

As far as I know, there aren’t many large foundations that work on domestic diseases. This is good news for everyone who suffers from autoimmune / immune system diseases. The parent org (founded by Paul Allen of Microsoft) has centers for brain research and cell research. Since public funding for research has dwindled, private funded foundations are really important. And since all funding for ME is so miniscule, we may have better hope coming out of these sorts of initiatives, even if they stumble on ME by accident while looking at the immune system.
https://alleninstitute.org/what-we-do/

Last edited: