• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alkaline Diet and Alkaline Water

GcMAF Australia

There is a concept that the pH of the body should be alkaline and rectifying pH imbalances could help with disease treatments.
Has anyone been using alkaline water?. There are a couple of makers of units around for alkaline water.
Maybe even additives..
Has any one been using alkaline diets?. Edgar Cayce was keen on an alkaline diet.
Has anyone been monitoring their saliva pH or urine pH??

Tammy

I have studied alot of the Cayce readings. I have found it hard to maintain an alkaline ph even with good diet. A friend of mine had one of the units for alkaline water and I got my water from her for awhile but still did not make a big difference. Overall I think Cayce's recommendation of an alkaline diet is a good one.......I think basically you would be eating mostly vegetables with a little bit of protein and good fat. alkaline grains being millet and quinoa. He is also big on food combining so that digestion is made easier.

IreneF

Adding baking soda ought to make your water alkaline, but not too much, since it's got a lot of sodium.

But really, your body is pretty good at keeping your acidity in line without any additional help.

perchance dreamer

I always have a slightly too acidic result on those tests. My nutritionist told me not to worry about it.

I exercise regularly and do intervals, which really raise the heart rate for short amounts of time. Vigorous exercise can cause you to test acidic even with an immaculate diet.

Tammy

Another tidbit on the Cayce readings. As I was looking through hundreds of Cayce readings there were cases that sounded like chronic fatigue syndrome.............Cayce referred to these cases as neurasthenia which makes me think that this syndrome has been around a lot longer than we think.

Nielk

Another tidbit on the Cayce readings. As I was looking through hundreds of Cayce readings there were cases that sounded like chronic fatigue syndrome.............Cayce referred to these cases as neurasthenia which makes me think that this syndrome has been around a lot longer than we think.

What was his advice for treatment?

Tammy

What was his advice for treatment?

Nielk.........Because of the nature of Cayce's work.........each individual was treated a bit differently depending on what he interpreted was going on with each.......but there were some basic therapies he would suggest. The 4 pillars of health that he focused on was Assimilation, elemination, circulation and relaxation. Each one of those pillars were treated in different ways according to what he felt the individual needed. One example of what he might have suggested would be dietary changes, colonic irrigations, castor oil packs, atomidine for the endcocrine system and a device called the radial appliance but this is really a simplified answer to the many different therapies he suggested. Two people might have the same thing but would need different therapies.......like I said it was very individualized. I think the meridian institute did some trials with people that had CFS using some of the therapies he had suggested.

I've been on an alkaline diet for three years and in the first year of eating more alkaline, I was able to reverse my bone loss. This is also a lifestyle choice that helps with weight loss and overall good health. I post alkaline recipes on my blog at www.cookalkaline.com. Check them out.
Best,
Sari

Lotus97

A few years ago after hearing about the whole pH/alkaline diet thing I tried a low protein vegan diet and that did not go well. I do best on a moderate to high protein diet which is supposed to bad. I kind of discarded the alkaline thing after I realized that, but I'm still open to hearing why it's good

Allyson

yes
A few years ago after hearing about the whole pH/alkaline diet thing I tried a low protein vegan diet and that did not go well. I do best on a moderate to high protein diet which is supposed to bad. I kind of discarded the alkaline thing after I realized that, but I'm still open to hearing why it's good

Yes Lotus,
I havenot looked into i in any detialy but I kow the body mintains its own homeostastis so I cannot understand how a diet can alter alkilinity; that said, you can see a visilbe difference in people with very unhealthy diets over time and vice versa....

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I was raised knowing that ph balance is important (not that I ever achieved it). I read the book Vermont Folk Medicine by Dr. Jarvis when I was a teen and he said that most pathogens only grow in the wrong ph...pathogens of the urinary tract and the digestive tract etc. He listed a whole slew of them that only grew in the wrong ph for our body. He had many examples of the wrong ph causing ill health. That book is still available online as it is sort of a cult classic. Then along came another book called Acid/Alkaline by Herman Aihara. That book said that the basis of the 2 thousand year old diet of macrobiotics is ph balance. Herman applied modern science to the old traditional macrobiotics diet and showed that their food groups corresponded to mineral content of the food and that it is healthiest to eat a balance of acidic and alkaline mineral foods.

The reason you see books with titles like "Alkalize or Die" is NOT because you are supposed to be alkaline but because most people eat too much acid-forming food and so the way to achieve balance is by eating more alkaline food in order to recover health. The ph of the blood is supposed to be something like 7.3 or 7.4, which is slightly alkaline, but the ph of urine is supposed to be somewhat acidic...the ph of the stomach is supposed to be VERY acidic, etc...so ph is different in each part of the body. The easiest to measure at home is the ph of the urine and if it is off, they say the ph or your body is off.

Yes, your body will steal minerals from the tissues to make the blood the right ph, but that is NOT HEALTHY for your tissues! For instance, if your body has to steal magnesium from the heart to make serum magnesium in the blood come out right, you can have a heart attack (and no one will know why because the idiots measure serum magnesium when they look at electrolytes). Etc. (This is not an electrolyte, but I am familiar with how the body steals copper from tissues to put in the blood in the case of inflammation because copper is a poison and your body is trying to save you from a plague, but the result of stealing it from the blood vessels can be a burst aneurism, etc). So saying you are acidic or alkaline does not refer to your blood ph, but it is meant to refer to whole body ph and since that cannot readily be measured, what is tested is urinary ph.

That said, if you have a VDR (Vitamin D Receptor) genetic defect like I do you will NEVER get your ph right by diet and ONLY by large dose Vitamin D supplements. In fact, there was a website (I long since lost) of people who simply administered Vitamin D until the urinary ph came right...they did not address this via diet at all.

Dufresne

almost there...
I've noticed short-lived improvements with alkalizing but my system always adaptst, cancelling out any kind of improvement. Dr Klinghardt makes the point that people on their last legs switch to a more alkaline state. He appears to think all the talk on this subject is hype and/or marketing. I'd provide a link to him saying so but I can't remember which video it was.

perchance dreamer

@dannybex, I was diagnosed with ME/CFS, but it was some years ago, and I don't remember exactly how my doctor made the diagnosis. He does not believe that every person with this condition also has PEM, but I know he's an outlier in that regard. I'll ask him about it when I see him next year at my next appointment.

I developed fibromylagia 30 years ago after a fall that caused me to hit my head. Many of the symptoms for fibro and ME/CFS can overlap. I have sleep disturbances, sensory overload, brain fog, chemical sensitivities, chronic pain, and a generally weak feeling. I also have MTHFR and COMT mutations.

It's not exercise that give me bad episodes. It's stress, being on my feet too long, and lifting items that would not cause any normal person a problem. Exercise helps me feel better, but I have to be careful of the type and the time of day.

It might be that other doctors would not have diagnosed me with ME/CFS. I don't know, but whatever I have, it doth sucketh.

[=

It's not exercise that give me bad episodes. It's stress, being on my feet too long, and lifting items that would not cause any normal person a problem. Exercise helps me feel better, but I have to be careful of the type and the time of day.

lots of regular exercise on those feet and back!
i know being on your feet for too long is really bad for health :(

same here. i bought an expensive alkaline water machine for my previous home.
to be frank, i couldn't feel any positive effects, in fact i feel worse during that period, which is probably not caused by the alkaline water. it was a stressful career moment in my life