• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice on alternative pain relief please

Stretched

I used Tramadol for years for CFS systemic pain. No problem other than minor withdrawal symptoms for a few days when stopped. The neurologist rxd Topiramate for buildup for ongoing neurological pain. It didn’t work fast enough for me. More recently I saw a pain clinic (MD’s) for peripheral neuropathy, which pain has elevated in feet needing quick acting relief. Percocet (in several strengths) works but it’s got acetaminophen in it; the purer pain relief part, OxyCodone can be rxd itself. I also got rxd Methadone but haven’t started it yet. It’s a class II drug meaning more restricted use and monitoring but it’s supposed to be effective for all day pain relief.

Have ordered my FIR
@Mascotte I have had success with a heating pad that is different than a regular heating pad it is called a FIR or an infrared heating pad it is available on Amazon. I bought one because another member here has been helped by using hers the link to that thread is here.
Have ordered my heat pad today should be here tomorrow fingers crossed, watch this space

I'm sat in my rise/recliner after my first session with my far invared heat pad and I must say I am impressed. I know it's early doors yet, and only time will tell if this will help with my pains and I can wave goodbye to some more meds.
I will also be starting my coarse of curcumin 95 advance c3 to help with the inflammation.
Thanks all for all your advice and help
Ron

Thanks @jesse's mom I purchased the large neck/shoulder pad as with using elbow crutches to get around the house when not bed bound I get a lot of pain in my shoulders.
I think I will be ordering the large square one next for my hips and sciatica. Would definitely recommend these ( having another dose now while I type, lovely!!!!)

jesse's mom

I have the medium flat one and the shoulder one, my mom laid on mine one time and we ordered her the large one. They keep theirs out on the guest bed and do lie it several times a day.

I have the medium flat one and the shoulder one, my mom laid on mine one time and we ordered her the large one. They keep theirs out on the guest bed and do lie it several times a day.
Sounds like a good idea lying in bed wrapped in these pads :) only problem is I think I would fall asleep with them on.

jesse's mom

My skin hurts also, I cover them with terry cloth and still they will irritate my skin if I am on them too long.

I love the timer though and that is good in case I fall asleep on mine.

I've started with 30min at 120f twice a day for this week and will build it up to find my optimum level. Have not had any irritation as yet but do get a tingle in my shoulders about 3/4 through a session?

jesse's mom

Do you think the tingle is the muscle relaxing, or is it the skin tingling?

I have a feeling that the blood is circulating better. I use them on my kidneys for 20 or 30 minutes, at 110f and my kidney numbers got 20 points better! That was in four months.

Do you think the tingle is the muscle relaxing, or is it the skin tingling?

I have a feeling that the blood is circulating better. I use them on my kidneys for 20 or 30 minutes, at 110f and my kidney numbers got 20 points better! That was in four months.
The tingle is coming from deep inside my shoulder so not quite sure what it is.

Wishful

@Mascotte I just posted a thread (Pain Depends on Gender) that you might find interesting. It's new findings on pain, and how pain response works differently for males and females. Maybe it will help explain why your present pain treatments aren't working as expected, and maybe some alternative approaches to consider. No quick easy solution in the article, but maybe it will help in some way.