• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Advice needed

Since July 31 I've been having muscle pain that's getting worse. First it felt like my upper arms are being torn, now it's in my legs too. I can't walk too far and I can't lift things(even a cup of tea feels super heavy and arms hurt). Closest appointment with neurologist is on October 6. Should I go to the ER? Afraid of surprise bills. I'm on Medicaid.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I think it's part of this disease. I get it too where even light things feel heavy to lift many times.

That being said, if you are having any critical symptoms or if you feel concerned (especially if this has come on suddenly) then it doesn't hurt to get checked.

Can you check with your state's Medicaid website to see how much they charge for ER visits? I think mine just charges a small copay but every state is different.

Edit: Maybe call the hospital too to make sure they accept your insurance. Plus, some hospitals have assistance programs to help with paying.

Hope you can get some answers. Hope I didn't muddy the waters more for you. Praying.

Victronix

Since July 31 I've been having muscle pain that's getting worse. First it felt like my upper arms are being torn, now it's in my legs too. I can't walk too far and I can't lift things(even a cup of tea feels super heavy and arms hurt). Closest appointment with neurologist is on October 6. Should I go to the ER? Afraid of surprise bills. I'm on Medicaid.

Is that still going on? Just wondering if you got any help or it improved.

hapl808

I had something similar but it started more with my legs. A brittle stiffness that felt like it was being torn when I moved it, if that makes sense. It felt like it was spreading and I did go to urgent care at the time, then saw neurologists, etc. It hasn't been life threatening, but didn't really resolve or get a firm diagnosis.

I wish I had a better answer, but it certainly felt like I was dying and I guess I'm still here. Hope that's helpful.

hapl808

Yes, all normal for me (normal CK levels, etc). Although the blood test was done a few weeks after the urgent care visit when things were at their worst, but it was still pretty bad then. My muscular problems have continued.

@georgina699 I experience the same as you've described. Things feel too heavy to lift, even my kindle (7 inch). Even folding my arms or clasping my hands together takes too much strength. And my legs feel very weak, and it's hard to stand.

The pain you described is about the only muscle pain I experience, in my upper arms, but always at night. I just figure it's all a part of ME.

I haven't tried a neurologist or the ER for any of it, as I don't assume they will help any.