• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Activated charcoal, bentonite clay, Zeolite binders

tootsieroll

Just realized a whole lot of my issues come from Mast Cell activation and endotoxins. Ive been doing the carrots but I think I need the big guns. So far Activated charcoal has been working to mop up a lot of die off symptoms from eradication of gut bacteria. The die off is very severe and the littlest bit of killing activity throws me off balance. Going on second day of Activated Charcoal and don’t want to use past day two. I wanted to move on to Zeolite or Bentonite clay but I have a sulfur intolerance at the moment. Afraid it will cause die off reaction from those due to them being volcanic material. So it should contain minerals in it. Just not sure if sulfur is a part of it. Should I stick with activated charcoal? Any insight? Thanks.

LINE

I have been using these for years and never had problems with either one. You never know how one is going to respond to a given substance. You could test low doses. I don't think those contain much sulfur and I would think that the reaction is due to the immune system activating due to the presence of toxins.

Chlorella is a great detoxifier as well, but I would use a trusted brand - Earth Circle is organic where the other brands have tested for toxins which is counterproductive.

cheeseater

Bentonite is interesting stuff. About 30 years ago I helped a rancher spread 40 tons of it to line a pond where the cows are not allowed. I think we went for an even 2 inch layer to prevent the water from leeching into the ground below. Creates a water tight seal. I seem to recall that we wore some pretty sophisticated full face mask/filters to avoid breathing any in.

LINE

There are 2 different types of bentonite, one of them causes swelling. I used Pascalite which does not swell and I have used Zeolite. Make sure the zeolite is micronized, there is a trusted manufacturer Heiltropfen, I bought a small container for around $25.

tootsieroll

Thanks for all the information! I hope I didn't post in wrong thread! Yes I do have sulfur reducing SIBO. So I need to be careful while treating that but I also need to carry the toxins and dead bacteria out of me. Which is the challenge. Especially if these products contain sulfur. I didn't know there were different versions of Bentonite clay. I have just started my research but this is so helpful to know! Is Pascalite the only non swelling type of Bentonite? That's the brand of Zeolite I wanted to purchase.

@cheeseater Your story is so interesting indeed. What does it mean for our body? That it will not absorb into body and will straight out the other end? I hope that's about it lol

cheeseater

No idea what it means for the body unless you inhale it. Bad news if inhaled. The bentonite we used was the non-swelling type that came in 50 pound bags, and was quite pure. Forget which industrial supplier churned the stuff out. We wore the masks because it is a known respiratory irritant, but of course only if inhaled. The other reason we wore good full face respirators was to keep from inhaling a bunch of aluminum, which bentonite is mainly comprised of. Seems foolish (to me) to intentionally consume aluminum. But hey, quicksilver (mercury) used to be all the rage and a cure all. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5632318/#:~:text=Bentonite is absorbent aluminium phyllosilicate,where it was first found.

Last edited:

tootsieroll

@LINE There's another type that is considered food grade. Is it no good? montmorillonite ?

@cheeseater Oh dang..look at this photo from Starwest brand. That's a lot of Aluminum! This pretty much answers the sulfur question too, as I see it listed for bentonite clay. Now I have to see if Zeolite carries the same trace mineral content.

Attachments

• starwest.jpg
    starwest.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 12

marcjf

I am in the same boat as you. I want to get rid of arsenic in special, which I tested too high for. But I am sure I have other endotoxins there.

I've been using Chlorella, which is one of the safest to do without supervision. I wanted to explorer others, like Activated Charcoal. The thing is they not only mop up endotoxins, but all essential minerals too. Also, I may be wrong, but aren't most of these gut related? I wanted something that can capture things that have already been absorbed by tissue.
I got myself some OSR, which is a very heavy-duty antioxidant and detoxifier, but I haven't started on it.

Also, does anyone know if the Niacin/Sauna protocol is legit? Or just quackery?

tootsieroll

@marcjf well, I did a little experiment so you don't have to technically. I was on Activated Charcoal for only two days and noticed it's anti-coagulating effect on my blood. Needless to say, this won't work for me as I am anemic and also deficient in all other nutrients. Now I'm afraid to try Zeolite or Bentonite, unless they leave these essential vitamin/minerals untouched.

Also wanted to try DAO enzyme to lower histamine in my body but don't know whether it would effect sulfur in gut.

LINE

@LINE There's another type that is considered food grade. Is it no good? montmorillonite ?

@cheeseater Oh dang..look at this photo from Starwest brand. That's a lot of Aluminum! This pretty much answers the sulfur question too, as I see it listed for bentonite clay. Now I have to see if Zeolite carries the same trace mineral content.

I don't trust SW as I had some bad experiences with 2 of their products. I sent them an email to inquire about testing for contamination and received no reply.

There is Na (sodium) and Ca versions:
Bentonite (/ˈbɛntənaɪt/)[1][2] is an absorbent swelling clay consisting mostly of montmorillonite (a type of smectite) which can either be Na-montmorillonite or Ca-montmorillonite. Na-montmorillonite has a considerably greater swelling capacity than Ca-montmorillonite.

My nephew had problems with sulfur due to bad bacteria in the gut - as mentioned before, these bacteria utilize the sulfur to grow. I am not sure if they are LPS bacteria which cause massive inflammation.

We eradicated them with 2 products, Dr. Tobias Prebiotic which is actually a phage product that can attack LPS bacteria and used unpasteurized sauerkraut. His gut problems are gone.