• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Action Alert: Natural, Bioavailable Forms of B6 in Peril!

*GG*

Everyone says, Take your vitamins. If only theyd let us! Vitamin B6 is something of a miracle worker. The FDA bans one of the most bioavailable forms of it so a drug company can monopolize it. Now even the form of B-6 we cant live without is at risk of being banned for the same reasonbecause a drug company wants it!

Pyridoxamineone of only three natural and bioavailable forms of B6inhibits aging and disease progression. Its especially effective at inhibiting the formation of what are called Advanced Glycation End-products, or AGEs. This is a particularly appropriate abbreviation, since pyridoxamines target seems to be age-related problems like skin wrinkling, atherosclerosis, chronic inflammation, cataract formation, kidney failure, diabetic complications, and Alzheimers disease. Life Extension magazine offered a marvelous explanation of how this unique form of B6 works in our bodies to fight glycation and slow aging.

Unfortunately, FDA banned pyridoxamine in 2008 in response to a petition from a drug company that wanted to use it in their own drug formulation. This means our only access to pyridoxamine will be via the synthetic drug version. The ban on pyridoxamine as a supplement is a tremendous loss.

An alternative to pyridoxamine, and one that has similar anti-glycation properties, is one of the other forms of vitamin B6a compound called pyridoxal-5′-phosphate, or P5P. Its the only one that can be used directly by the body without conversion. While everyone needs B6 to live, some people have difficulty converting other forms of B6 to P5P, so the elimination of natural P5P could make them entirely dependent on drugs for survival.

P5P lowers the bodys levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that is a potential risk factor in cardiovascular disease. P5P also supports protein metabolism and muscle growth, and helps overcome premenstrual symptoms and depression by encouraging the production of the brains feel-good chemicals, serotonin and dopamine. New research has demonstrated that P5P may also protect against pancreatic cancer; other studies demonstrate that P5P protects against kidney disease and eye disease.

P5P exists in food, and has been available as a supplement for years. But now even P5P is under threat! The FDA has a petition from Medicure Pharma to ban P5P. If the petition is approved, we will have to wait until we get sick to obtain a prescription for the drug.

Well no longer be able to maintain optimal health and prevent aging and diseases like cancer by proactively keeping P5P at the optimal level. It would be a complete travesty if P5P disappears from the market like pyridoxamine.

We have asked you in the past to send a message to the FDA and Congress protesting Medicures attempt to grab P5P, and we need to keep the pressure onthe stakes are just too high. If you havent yet written to the FDA and Congress, please do so today.
And if you have already sent your message, thank youbut if you dont mind, please write again and continue to voice your objections. Dont let the FDA take away our access to this natural miracle-worker. Please take action now!
TO SEND YOUR MESSAGE TO THE FDA AND CONGRESS

Click THIS LINK to go to the Action Alert page. Once there, fill out the form with your name and address, etc., and customize your letter. We have a suggested message for you, but please feel free to add your own comments to the letter.

Wed also love to hear your comments about this articlejust add your thoughts belowbut remember that the messages below are only seen by our ANH-USA readers and not Congress, the FDA, etc.

https://secure3.convio.net/aahf/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=334

http://www.anh-usa.org/action-alert-natural-bioavailable-forms-of-b6-in-peril/

Mark

Thanks for posting this ggingues, most illuminating. Scary stuff...with a codex alimentarius future to look forward to, plenty more of this sort of thing on the way I'm afraid. :-(

Any clues what the natural sources of P5P are? Can't seem to find that info.

TheMoonIsBlue

I think I remember reading this quite a while back......but I still don't know how they can do this. P5P (Bioactive B6) is a Vitamin-pure and simple. If they ALSO want to make it into some form of a drug,specifically for homocysteine, then Ok.........but keep it available as an OTC supplement as well. Like you said, lots of people use it for other reasons such as supporting healthy neurotransmitters, etc. I believe it is required to turn L-Tryptophan into Serotonin, and other Amino acids.

Most of the quality "doctor brand" vitamins used P5P in their multi vitamins and B-complexes.

I hope this doesn't happen, there is no reason to pull P5P from the shelves as a vitamin!