• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acid-Alkali Gut Balance

susan

It does not matter how much green stuff I eat and drink, I still stay acid. I have just been given a water alkilizer so we will see if that makes a difference.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi Susan,
I think the alkaline diet is only part of the solution. Lots of the bad bacteria in our guts produce acid (H2S for example) so we cannot alkalise properly without getting rid of them. I hope the water alkaliser helps you - I definitely think alkaline water is helping me. Also remember you need to cut out certain acid foods altogether, eg pork. The website I linked to has a list of the worst offenders. Good luck!

Victoria

I did alot of research on acid/alkaline balance some years ago, in an attempt to reduce my pain & inflammatory respose. If I eat a high acid meal (without enough balancing alkaline foods), my hip & FM pain is much more severe.

But, one does need to understand that some acidic foods can form an alkaline ash in the body which is very helpful. Lemons are near the top of the list for this alkaline ash formation. If you have arthritis or any inflammatory condition, lemons are very good for you.

Red meat is very acidic, so I try to eat it only a couple of times a week. But I DO eat read meat because I am low on lysine & red meat is one of the best sources.

An ideal diet should have 80% alkaline food & 20% acid. The important thing to remember is that when you eat meat or any other high acid food, you should eat plenty of alkaline vegetables in the same meal to balance the acid load (especially on your liver).

So for all those members, like me, who eat a high protein/low carb diet, remember to balance the acid load.

Another example is tomatoes. Raw tomatoes are not too bad at all, but cooked tomatoes are extremely acidic (hence you will see many Italian tomato recipes have a teaspoon of sugar added to correct some of the acidity).

I am in the process of preparing a list of acid/alkaline foods for my Mother who had been told to cut out all the acid foods, by her Doctor. (She should have a balance of acid/alkaline, not cut all acid foods).

But, as with all diets, you need to do some trial & testing & see what works for you.

girlinthesnow

I got my family to test themselves, all 7-7.5 perfect,none of them are ill. The best result I have got through altering my diet and having bicarb of soda in water 2/day is 6.5, usually lingering around 5.5. There is definitely something in this, something fundamental.

Athene

ihateticks.me
I forgot to mention that a friend of mine has also found that drinking lots of water helps alkalise her. ( I think she manages nearly 6 litres a day) Obviously you need to find alkaline water. If you buy mineral water, look for the pH on the label as they all display it. Tap water is always acid as far as I know.