• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acetylcholine Induced MAJOR LONG-TERM FATIGUE!!!

joejack102

Hello everyone,

I had used different Choline supplements (specifically Choline Bitartrate & CDP-Choline) several years back. After continuous use, they reduced my sensitivities to meds, however the Choline supplements left me chronically and majorly fatigued... seemingly permanently, LONG-TERM.

There was obviously an imbalance before (with me having been so sensitive to meds), and after (with me being so chronically tired).

How can I reverse this? It's not as simple as saying anti-cholinergic, because that didn't work. What supplement, nutrient, or ingredient might correct whatever imbalance I caused by using so much Choline for so long?

Best Regards.

Violeta

Hello everyone,

I had used different Choline supplements (specifically Choline Bitartrate & CDP-Choline) several years back. After continuous use, they reduced my sensitivities to meds, however the Choline supplements left me chronically and majorly fatigued... seemingly permanently, LONG-TERM.

There was obviously an imbalance before (with me having been so sensitive to meds), and after (with me being so chronically tired).

How can I reverse this? It's not as simple as saying anti-cholinergic, because that didn't work. What supplement, nutrient, or ingredient might correct whatever imbalance I caused by using so much Choline for so long?

Best Regards.

I think I need to figure out the same thing. Yesterday I read various things in a variety of places that made me think that maybe raising dopamine levels might help. One place that I read was a site by Ann Wright.

Also, cutting out nightshades and foods with significant chlorogenic acid. Maybe goitrogens, too, not sure, though.

I am wondering if the pre or post synaptic locations for acetylcholine have been negatively affected in some way.

Sorry that this post seems so disjointed, I don't know much but thought I would post to see if anyone can expand on these ideas.

sb4

Interesting as today I just read this from ray peat. (http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/dark-side-of-stress-learned-helplessness.shtml)

He's not a fan of acetylcholine nor acetylcholine esterase inhibitors. As far as I understand it, acetylcholine increases nitric oxide production which lowers mitochondrial function (through displacing oxygen @ cyctochrome c oxidase) resulting in more lactic acid and less energy. Sounds kind of like CFS.

However I know acetylcholine isn't all bad, there are definite benefits to being more parasympathetic, so I have to assume he is talking about excess acetylcholine or excess.

I too have had bad reactions to acetylcholine esterase inhibitors yet I seem to have symptoms that could indicate a lack of acetylcholine (dry mouth, slow motility, wired, insomnia). These could be caused by antibodies against a certain receptor (M3) or something else however. Maybe I have the right amount of acetlycholine. Perhaps I even have too much and that is causing lactic acid build up. IDK.

Because lowering estrogen will lower cholinergic transmission, in the brain, where it counts.

This is not fool proof because the side effects of anti-E's are high too.