• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Acetyl L-Carnitine for OI & brain fog

SaraM

Recently started 500 mg of Acetyl L-Carnitine a day and it has made a huge difference in Orthostatic Intolerance and brain fog while my Carnitine level has always been optimal. L-Carnitine had no effect at all.

S.O.D(superoxide dismutase) which is recommended for getting rid of Lactic acid seems to be useless in my case. Maybe I need to give it more time.

Luke

ooph
My doc told me Acetyl L-Carnitine can be 'better' as it crosses the blood brain barrier.

grant107

Jean
Adderall and other amphedimines can cause tachycardia if you are prone to that. I tried providial and it caused my heart to race so bad I went to the hospital.

Sunday

apparently for some people a more effective form is l-carnitine-fumarate. Although for others (obviously) acetyl-l-carnitine is best. I'm experimenting with going from one to the other myself, to see. According to Freddd, it's more effective taken on an empty stomach. From my limited experience, I'd say that's true.

Kathi

Acetyl L carnitine has been on my list for quite awhile. It helps immensely with brain fog. It also helps to keep fluid from accumulating in my body. I wouldn't do without it!!! As a test, I went without it and couldn't believe the difference in how I felt. I couldn't think or make decisions. I would not give this on eup for anything.

Kathi

N

neuf08

Yes, Acetyl-L-Carnitine can be more beneficial for brain fog and brain function in general that regular L-Carnitine. This is because ALCAR crosses the blood brain barrier more readily, and is then easily converted into energy for the brain. It serves as an antioxidant, as well as promoting healthy brain function. This isn't typically thought of as a necessary supplement, but can be very beneficial for those suffering from brain fog. It's also taken as people begin to age to prevent things like dementia and Alzheimer's.

Sunday

I'm interested to hear how people are using various forms of carnitine. Just as a note, on Freddd's protocol (which includes it as a necessary part of unblocking methylation) I have gotten a significant amount of brain function back - but the energy part and the OI part that still do it to me. Don't know it this would be a common experience, but it is mine.

ramakentesh

It must help brain fog by increasing cerebral blood flow or improving cerebral autoregulation. Interesting...

helsbells

has anyone tried Pentoxifylline, florinef or Adderall and had any positive results?

I am experimenting with small doses of florinef but getting lots of side effects - in the interests of disclosure ;)I should point out i get side effects to most things, i did read on some of the POTS/OI boards that some couldn't tolerate: some found it helpful but seems you might have to persereve for a week or two to start feeling the benefit, I have not been able to take consistently to find out.

Would love to try cartnitine but find it really irritates my bladder (I have IC)