• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abstract from 12th International Conference On Malignancies In AIDS And Other Acquire

taniaaust1

I just came across the following and dont think anyone has posted about this at the forum yet??

Thursday 29 July 2010

Abstract from 12th International Conference On Malignancies In AIDS And Other Acquired Immunodeficiencies (ICMAOI) April 26-27, 2010, NIH Main Campus (US).

Background

In 2006, sequences of a novel human retrovirus, XMRV, were identified and reported to be associated with a subset of hereditary prostate cancer. Although the public health implications of this finding were not immediately clear, two recent papers show XMRV is clearly a health concern. One clearly shows that XMRV expression in the proliferating prostate stroma and epithelium of prostate cancer patients [1]. The second describes the detection of XMRV in about two-thirds of patients diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome [2]. We will present data that in these and other neuroimmune diseases and cancers, the host mounts a humoral response to XMRV and infected patients are viremic.

Methods

A combination of classical retroviral methods, including RT-PCR, full-length genomic sequencing, immunoblotting of viral expression in activated PBMC, passage of infectious virus in plasma and PBMC to indicator cell lines, and presence of antibodies to XMRV in plasma, allowed XMRV detection in more than 75% of the CFS patients studied.

Since then, several publications in Europe using DNA-PCR of blood products failed to detect XMRV sequences in patients with either disease and have created considerable controversy. Reliable methods for the biological and molecular amplification to detect XMRV in unstimulated blood cells and plasma have been developed. Some DNA-PCR negative patient blood samples represent false negatives and molecular analysis using DNA from unstimulated blood cells is not yet sufficient for XMRV identification.

Results

In mice, viruses related to XMRV cause B-cell lymphoma usually by insertional mutagenesis activating a cellular oncogene as well as causing chronic neurological diseases. We will present a case of development of such B cell lymphoma in CFS patients. XMRV-infected individuals with both neuroimmune disease and cancer develop an immune response to XMRV. The isolation of infectious XMRV from prostate cancer patients will be shown for the first time. Pathogenic consequences of this infection will be discussed

Conclusion

XMRV, a retrovirus of unknown pathogenic potential is infectious in humans.

References

1. Schlaberg et al.: XMRV is present in malignant prostate epthelium and is associated with prostate cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:16351, 2009.
2. Lombardi et al.: Detection of an infectious retrovirus, XMRV, in blood cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Science 326:585, 2009.

Source

Ruschetti, F et al (2010) 'Repeated Detection of Infectious Xenotropic Murine Virus-Related Virus (XMRV) in Human Neoplasia and Neuroimmune Diseases (listed as 'Pathogenic Consequences of Xenotropic Murine Virus-related Virus (XMRV) Expression in the Development of Chronic Diseases', from the Program Book: 12th International Conference On Malignancies In AIDS And Other Acquired Immunodeficiencies (ICMAOI) April 26-27, 2010, NIH Main Campus, National Cancer Institute, p. 33.

from http://www.mecfs.org.au/news/newsId/23
http://oham.cancer.gov/objects/pdf/2010ICMAOI_Program_Book.pdf

taniaaust1

Three parts of the above really stood out to me
Reliable methods for the biological and molecular amplification to detect XMRV in unstimulated blood cells and plasma have been developed.

Some DNA-PCR negative patient blood samples represent false negatives and molecular analysis using DNA from unstimulated blood cells is not yet sufficient for XMRV identification.

In mice, viruses related to XMRV cause B-cell lymphoma usually by insertional mutagenesis activating a cellular oncogene as well as causing chronic neurological diseases. We will present a case of development of such B cell lymphoma in CFS patients.

Stone

"Some DNA-PCR negative patient blood samples represent false negatives and molecular analysis using DNA from unstimulated blood cells is not yet sufficient for XMRV identification."

Music to my ears. We need more scientists getting this word out besides WPI and maybe a handful of others at the most.

What an exciting study, very promising indeed! I can't wait to read the whole text. This is the kind of thing we really need and it looks like this is going to be oh so helpful to us, I'm sure. Great find! You've got a good eye.

Thanks a million for posting it. I'm looking forward to the comments of others on this abstract. Any idea where, when, and if the full study will be published?