• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abdominal pain?

Hey all!
So I keep waking up in the morning with really bad pain right across my front from under my chest down, it is extremely painful if I breath in hard or yawn and is just generally painful, it feels as though my insides have been involved in a punch up, this sounds super weird but it's the only way I can think to describe it! I get this all the time and basically just wanted to know if anyone else gets this or similar with ME, or maybe it's not connected at all?
Thanks

valentinelynx

It sounds like you might have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), otherwise known as heartburn. It's called "heartburn" because it can cause pain in the center of your chest. The pain is coming from your esophagus, which is being burned by stomach acid. You might try taking an H2 blocker (e.g. Pepcid/famotidine, or Zantac/ranitidine) before dinner, or a proton pump inhibitor (Prilosec/omeprazole or others) once a day for a few days. If the pain gets better, it was probably GERD. This can be a dangerous problem. The stomach acid can seriously injure your esophagus and even your lungs, so I recommend seeing a doctor about it if that appears to be the problem.

Other approaches to GERD include elevating your head while you sleep, and not eating heavy or greasy foods in the few hours before bed.

Hufsamor

I have it from time to time.
I guess it's at least kind of related to me,
as I have more pain when my me is bad
- wich means I'm laying more down.

I don't hurt as bad as you,
but I'll look into the suggestions from @valentinelynx

@valentinelynx
Thanks, although my pain is mostly below my chest in the mornings and feels a bit like I'm bruised right across my lower front, it's a bit odd, maybe it's just me I don't know?

BeADocToGoTo1

Raising the head of the bed as valentinelynx mentioned helped me as well with silent reflux. Do you feel bone pain in the chest or soft tissue, organ pain. Do you feel bloated? Does it get better after going to the toilet? How long before you go to bed do you eat or drink anything that is not water? Does it go away during the day?

@BeADocToGoTo1
The pain is more in the lower half of my upper body, and feels like my organs/insides in that area, e.i ribs, stomach, lungs etc are bruised as though maybe I have been punched relentlessly in said area (which I haven't of course 😂)
I already use 3 pillows and I'm not sure how well I'd sleep if I made it higher!?
I'm not bloated with it and nothing really makes it better, but yes it eases off during the day. As for eating before bed, probably not long before as I have to go to bed very early!
But I'm sure it's not acid as that's like a sick sort of pain in the chest/throat and this is lower down my body and more of an ache/sharp pain.

BeADocToGoTo1

@BeADocToGoTo1
The pain is more in the lower half of my upper body, and feels like my organs/insides in that area, e.i ribs, stomach, lungs etc are bruised as though maybe I have been punched relentlessly in said area (which I haven't of course 😂)
I already use 3 pillows and I'm not sure how well I'd sleep if I made it higher!?
I'm not bloated with it and nothing really makes it better, but yes it eases off during the day. As for eating before bed, probably not long before as I have to go to bed very early!

A few thoughts. Instead of pillows, which will bend your body and can put uncomfortable pressure on that midsection, you could try a few books or wood blocks underneath the 2 feet at the head of the bed, so you are at an angle (gravity keeping juices and digestion downward), but your whole body is straight. Eating so close to lying down might also cause pain. But just in case it might be worth having a doctor do an examination and feel to make sure it is not serious.

Pyrrhus

One other possibility is Pleurodynia (Bornholm Disease), which is characterized by episodes of stabbing pain in the muscles of the chest and abdomen...