• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ABC Australia: McClure (ICL) "Virus linked to prostate cancer and CFS"

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
I'm certain that you must be right Megan, because their initial study with ME patients didn't find any XMRV at all, not even in the normal population, and now they are finding XMRV in significant numbers of prostate cancer patients, and she admits that XMRV is present in 1% (her figure) of the normal population, at least in Japan anyway.

Can you remind me please, Bob, or someone else, what information has been published on the control group in the ICL/KCL study and how many?

natasa778

I only just noticed this, this is horrible, these people fully deserve whatever comes their way:

"...Our own study also differs from that of Lombardi in other respects. Firstly, the PCR operator was blinded to the provenance of the DNA samples. In fact, with the exception of the PCR controls, all 186 DNA test samples originated from CFS patients. Care was taken to grow the XMRV plasmid in a laboratory in which no MLV had been cultured and no MLV vectors used and the PCR was carried out in a CPA-accredited Molecular Diagnostics Unit which processes only human tissue."

Implying WPI study wasn't blinded (it was), and that Judy et al didn't take necessary steps to avoid contamination. Incredible!!

oerganix

I only just noticed this, this is horrible, these people fully deserve whatever comes their way:

"...Our own study also differs from that of Lombardi in other respects. Firstly, the PCR operator was blinded to the provenance of the DNA samples. In fact, with the exception of the PCR controls, all 186 DNA test samples originated from CFS patients. Care was taken to grow the XMRV plasmid in a laboratory in which no MLV had been cultured and no MLV vectors used and the PCR was carried out in a CPA-accredited Molecular Diagnostics Unit which processes only human tissue."

Implying WPI study wasn't blinded (it was), and that Judy et al didn't take necessary steps to avoid contamination. Incredible!!

Yes, both the Cleveland Clinic and National Cancer Institute tested and validated that the WPI findings were not due to contamination, yet anti-WPI posters here on this forum and elsewhere continued to repeat that misinformation, ad nauseum.
(Just had to use "ad nauseum", ha ha.)

Implying WPI study wasn't blinded (it was),

To be fair, I don't think the WPI had said that their results had come from blinded trials when the PLOS paper had come out. I'm pretty sure that the Science paper doesn't mention it, it's just something we've heard later on.

natasa778

Esther, to be fair if there was no mention in the Science paper whether the study was blinded McClure at al should not have assumed that it WASN'T! They could have a) asked - after all the answer was only an email away b) not said anything c) said they did not have that information. Not assume. Very unscientific and unprofessional of them.