• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

abandon the hygiene hypothesis? hurrah!!!! didn't know I'd live long enough to see this!

alicec

What is it you are hurrahing about?

The authors are simply suggesting the terminology of "hygiene hypothesis" be abandoned because it is narrow and misleading.

They are reinforcing the ideas behind it, namely

that interaction with microbes that inhabit the natural environment and human microbiome plays an essential role in immune regulation

osisposis

What is it you are hurrahing about?

The authors are simply suggesting the terminology of "hygiene hypothesis" be abandoned because it is narrow and misleading.

They are reinforcing the ideas behind it, namely

I am hurrahing about it because the general public's view is way off and hopefully they are about to get re-educated! exspecially about homes and workplaces! just think og the citeing's to come :)

alex3619

I had a clash with the old mindset recently. I got a substitute cleaner one day, who wanted disinfectant for the floor. I said I didn't have any, only some personal disinfectant for skin issues. She must have used half the bottle. A week later my cleaner complained the place smelled of disinfectant. There is an obsession with disinfectants. Now there are times and places where it is warranted, especially hospitals and clinics, especially around people who are carrying an active infection, and any food prep areas for restaurants. The rest is dubious aside from a rare exception. Now in the middle of an epidemic I can understand people using antibacterial solutions for their hands when they are out and cannot wash their hands. Its not a bad idea. But the rest of the time?

osisposis

I had a clash with the old mindset recently. I got a substitute cleaner one day, who wanted disinfectant for the floor. I said I didn't have any, only some personal disinfectant for skin issues. She must have used half the bottle. A week later my cleaner complained the place smelled of disinfectant. There is an obsession with disinfectants. Now there are times and places where it is warranted, especially hospitals and clinics, especially around people who are carrying an active infection, and any food prep areas for restaurants. The rest is dubious aside from a rare exception. Now in the middle of an epidemic I can understand people using antibacterial solutions for their hands when they are out and cannot wash their hands. Its not a bad idea. But the rest of the time?

ya, over use of antibacterials will come back to bite us like antibiotics , theres really is a lot to be learned about environmental exposures, exspecially chronic ones

renerdrat

Every teardrop is a waterfall
that's such a long read.. you could have at least summarized it if you were gonna just post a link?