• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AAFP article: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Renamed and Redefined

Nielk

http://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20150302newchronicfatigue.html

excerpt:

Study co-author Theodore Ganiats, M.D., of the department of family medicine and community health in the Miller School of Medicine at the University of Miami, wrote a companion piece(annals.org) to the study in which he broke down the key elements of the group's research.

He told AAFP News that ME/CFS has been ignored or mismanaged by clinicians in the past because some doctors don't consider it a real disease; other times, it's simply misdiagnosed. Regarding the latter, Ganiats said that just as hypertension and diabetes may be missed during a clinical visit, ME/CFS can be misdiagnosed for a variety of reasons.

"Plus, there are many diagnostic strategies (for ME/CFS) out there, so it is confusing to doctors," he said. "We hope that the IOM strategy, based in evidence and simpler, will facilitate the diagnostic process."

Ganiats pointed to elements of the diagnostic criteria the IOM committee created that provide evidence that ME/CFS is a legitimate disease with a physiological basis.

Warning: Reading the doctors' comments might raise your blood pressure!

worldbackwards

Chronic%20fatigue_distressed%20man.jpg.daijpg.380.jpg

I think that guy read the comments.

halcyon

I tried registering to leave some comments but it appears you have to be a paying AAFP member to comment on their articles.