• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Scary Amount of Nutrition Science Has Deep Ties to The Food Industry, Study Reveals

IThinkImTurningJapanese

A Scary Amount of Nutrition Science Has Deep Ties to The Food Industry, Study Reveals

The food industry has their fingers all over our nutrition research. According to a new analysis, one out of every eight leading, peer-reviewed studies on nutrition is tied to business.

Even worse, this conflict of interest, although acknowledged explicitly within the scientific journals, tends to produce results that favour business, and potentially with misleading consequences.
"This study found that the food industry is commonly involved in published research from leading nutrition journals," researchers write.
"Where the food industry is involved, research findings are nearly six times more likely to be favourable to their interests than when there is no food industry involvement."

geraldt52

I'm quite sure that a couple of good follow up studies would find that "A scary amount of pharmaceutical science has deep ties to the pharmaceutical industry" and "A scary amount of vaccine science has deep ties to the vaccine industry". I'm afraid that quite a lot of science, medical and otherwise, has been co-opted by the money that funds the science...and you can throw the science journals in there as well.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I'm quite sure that a couple of good follow up studies would find that "A scary amount of pharmaceutical science has deep ties to the pharmaceutical industry" and "A scary amount of vaccine science has deep ties to the vaccine industry". I'm afraid that quite a lot of science, medical and otherwise, has been co-opted by the money that funds the science...and you can throw the science journals in there as well.

Informed consent needs to be much more respected these days. :D

YippeeKi YOW !!

I'm quite sure that a couple of good follow up studies would find that "A scary amount of pharmaceutical science has deep ties to the pharmaceutical industry"
I completely agree, and can go that one better.

The Pharma companies control of universities, especially their medical schools (tho not limited to just that arena), is staggering, They control the purse strings, they dispense the grants that keep most universities solvent, they determine the syllabuses of the med school classes and the direction those classes can and can;t take, they determine what research will be done and how, then they write a check for it. I don't think it needs saying that they most probably guide the outcome of that research, the conclusions it reaches, and the methods used to get there.

They liberally scatter thousands of very well-paid lecture opportunities to professors and medical staff at universities and hospitals across this country, along with study grants, research grants, and publishing opportunities on subjects of interest to them, to parties likely to keep those interests in mind while writing the books they're being paid to produce by BigPharm.

They set up, guide, and pay for endless conferences, all held in exotic and very attractive locations, often closely associated with expensive vacation sites, where selected Drs and 'experts' are invited to speak for often enormous fees, with all expenses including transportation to and from the conference paid, and usually about new medications and/or treatment protocols under research and development by that particular Pharma or a consortium of Pharma;s with annealed interests.

So no, not surprized that the food industry has a hand in nutrition 'science'. Every industry has their own particular corner to work, not unlike the ladies who toil away in The World’s Oldest Profession ...

Critical thinking and careful, deliberative evaluation of 'facts' being presented as gospel should be a required course, or series of courses, starting in elementary school and continuing middle school, high school and deep into college.

I wonder who’ll underwrite that curriculum in our schools and universities?

YippeeKi YOW !!

As an afterthought, I wonder who paid for that study, which seems to be aimed at undermining interest in an industry that has been making deeper and deeper inroads into the often unaffordable and frequently unproductive and cumulatively damaging medical profession’s offerings.

As in, “Aha! Here’s a medication that should help deal with the symptoms you’re complaining about ….” …. 2 months later: “And here’s a prescription for the side effects of the medication that should help….” …. 4 Months later: “And here’s another prescription for the side effects of the prescription for the side effects of the medication that should help ….”, etc etc etc.