A Remarkable Recovery Story

Wayne

I think this is a remarkable story. Was wondering if anybody else has heard any kind of similar story, where changing locations made a drastic difference in health.

ljimbo423

I think this is a remarkable story. Was wondering if anybody else has heard any kind of similar story, where changing locations made a drastic difference in health.
I actually had a significant improvement in health before I knew I had CFS. I was diagnosed at the time with depression and anxiety and was waiting for disability payments.

Shortly after I got $7,000 in back SSDI payments, I started to improve A LOT. I was able to buy a car, and other things. Get around more, spend more time with friends, etc. My outlook on life improved dramatically.

I even started jogging very slowly, about a mile every other day! The best reason I can come up with for these changes is because of how much better I felt about my life and how optimistic I felt! Maybe that's part of what happened in the story in the OP.

Whatever it was, it really is an incredible story!

I feel unhappy with this story of recovery. Of course it's great for the boy that he recovered. He doesn't deserve a life of misery. I'm unhappy because it reminds me of the person who said "I had M.E but then I took Omega 3 supplements and it went away" sort of story.

I don't think this illness has much to do with Vitamin D either. There are so many Australian M.E patients and they have so much sunshine there. When I first got this my parents and doctors sent me to school and then pushed me for a holiday in Israel because "the sun and change of location would do me good." It made me worse.
I now live in a sunny hot climate. I find that *sensible* mild sunbathing for vitamin D just outside my flat often makes me need to lie down in a darkened room afterwards. Sometimes I even worsen after it. It is good to have vitamin D but it doesn't cure this.

Also before recovery the boy "played" guitar while lying down for *"5-6 hours a day"*. That is a heck of a lot. Even if he wasn't focusing during the strumming or just drifting off, it still sounds like he did not suffer the CCC criteria. His mother doesn't mentioned breaks inbetween "playing". He seemed to manage a terribly long flight, even if it was difficult for him. She mentions he had a 4 day crash afterwards. I'm not saying he wasn't ill, it's obvious he had a severe physical illness, it just sounds like it might be something different.

It could be intolerance to something in the boy's house like mold or something. In that case he did not have M.E. He had a severe allergy or intolerance to something in his home.

Does Costa Rica really have no people with M.E ?
More realistic gradual anecdotal improvements or proper published papers lift my spirits more and can teach us more than this.
I don’t think it can just be the sunshine. I also don’t think Australia is good for M.E. due to the ozone hole above it. It could be lots of other things - light, vitamin D, better water, magnetism, food, less pollution, etc...

I agree that stories like this aren’t always uplifting! But I still think it’s important that they’re reported...

I think people who contract Mono and display signs of CFS can be split into two groups. One can recover within 12-24 months in my experience, the other may go onto be sick for much longer. I can only assume that the first group does not have genetic abnormalities pre-disposing them to have a weaker overall immune system as in group two. In my case I don't think I ever got mono, in my teenage years I was always lethargic and struggling. I believe another group of us simply have a genetic makeup that pre-diposes us to gradually get worse as we interact with more and more pathogens as we age not to mention the bodys natural degradation as it gets older and becomes less energy efficient. The simple truth is you would expect this in your fifties with gradual declination, not in your teens, twenties or thirties. But the sub groups we are all fitting into are many and numerous that is for sure.

Hip

I think people who contract Mono and display signs of CFS can be split into two groups. One can recover within 12-24 months in my experience, the other may go onto be sick for much longer.
Yes, that's true: this study showed that 6 months after mono, 13% had been hit with ME/CFS. But by 24 months, only 4% had ME/CFS, which indicates some recovered from their ME/CFS.

But in Paul's case, it may not have been mono, as the first post says Paul contracted a "mononucleosis type illness that did not test as mononucleosis". Also, several months later, there was a seconding flu-like illness involved (probably enterovirus, as this ME/CFS virus often causes flu-like initial symptoms).

Paul recovered within a week or two of arriving at the hot, sunny location of Costa Rica, but when he returned to Canada, his ME/CFS came back with full force.

So rather than recovery, it sounds like some factor present in this hot country is throwing his ME/CFS into remission — but the remission is maintained only while he continues living there.

Definitely an intriguing case.

Perhaps @Chris might have some updates on Paul's story, like whether he is still living in a hot country, and whether his ME/CFS still returns when he comes back to colder countries like Canada.

Yes and this definitely show up anecdotally within the community. I've seen several people who got the positive mono diagnosis and then went onto make a full recovery. I really don't think this is a co-incidence.

But Paul's recovery while great is a trickier one to understand. We all know that some people report doing better in hot countries, the Lyme disease warrior blog lady (I forget her name apologies) made a full recovery too. I know from my own personal experience that diet, sunshine and Lyme herbs can't get you to this level of recovery. Ironically other herbs do help but they are incredibly expensive. With beneficial supplements and herbs I must be at around £200 per month. Although I now can't take high doses of andrographis paniculata as much like ginseng it causes terrible hunger pangs. In Andro this is caused by the stomach acid being increased, in ginseng I am not sure what the direct action is. Even so it makes it hard to tolerate the herbs in large doses for long periods without putting on large amounts of weight as the months go by.

Even so to get back on topic living in a hot country has interested me for a long time, as it really does seem to help a lot of people and I wonder if it would for me. Even so last year in the UK we had 3 to 4 months of very high tempreatures and my health was overall better, but relapsed in June so I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be.