• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A New Poll?

leela

Okay, perhaps this sounds nutty, but the more I read about immunity being 75% in the gut,
and about how almost all PWCs have gut issues, and how important breast milk/colostrum is in establishing a healthy gut and immune system, I am really curious to know what percentage of PWCs were bottle-fed vs breast-fed. This is not about placing the blame on moms! I just wonder if there is an extra predisposition for immune abnormalities when babies do not get their natural "booster" at the breast. I don't remotely imagine it to be a causative factor, but I'm wondering if it is a factor in setting up a terrain that predisposes a person to become vulnerable to this illness. Does anyone think it's worth starting a poll, just to see if it factors in?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/03/science/03milk.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

jewel

Most people in the U.S. in my generation were bottle fed-- our kids, most at least partially breast fed. J.

Stone

My sisters and I all have CFS. We were all breastfed as tiny infants, then switched to bottles after a few months. My daughter has CFS and was exclusively breastfed, never had formula. We all have gut problems of one kind or another to some degree or another. I had IBS before I got sick with CFS. One sister has always suffered from a very sluggish colon.

sela

i was breastfed for 6 weeks. the guy at 'cooling inflammation' writes a lot about this, check it out, he is a research scientist. mother's can pass on stuff to infant if her flora etc isn't okay.

I was breastfed but weaned a bit early. I do think it is worth starting a poll. I will talk with my Mother and get back to the thread with more details like when exactly I was weaned.
-femmgrrl