• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Federal Funding Update - September 30

Emily Taylor

Apologies this update is about 10 days old. It's been a super busy week.

PbA280OmFfK4MDzI6NOaRr1IEzVMsRiF74jdN0q7xvy32VhhhH_PkVFT_8rkP5CcA87Er76Cy-wiudU_xmB87-kL14Lr9XPnFN6u6tzarv5ydoYaS35mElx9Ldxg-YP3F2U-5xJ5BzdpZyB2kx9D=s0-d-e1-ft

Hold Please: A Federal Funding Update for ME/CFS

What you Need to Know:
  • Final funding decisions have been postponed until November 21.
  • House & Senate proposals contain 2 wins and 2 draws.
  • If the combined Senate and House bills pass, ME/CFS researchers could apply for up to $360 million in new defense research funding in FY 20.
  • We are will likely not see an increase to the CDC ME/CFS program next year.
  • Take a moment to say “Thank you” to our Congressional funding request supporters!

Congress Postpones Final Budget Decisions

Today is the federal budget deadline and Congress passed legislation, known as a Continuing Resolution or “CR,” extending government funding to midnight November 21, 2019. This extension was signed by the President over the weekend. This means Congress has just over seven weeks to reach an agreement.

The Senate Appropriations Committee advanced its FY2020 Defense Funding Bill including full funding of the Peer Reviewed Medical Research Program (PRMRP) at $350 million. If the Senate proposal remains unchanged during the remainder of the budget process, next year ME/CFS will be an eligible research topic area in the PRMRP.

The House-passed budget proposals included excellent committee report language directing agencies to act on ME/CFS, yet did not increase the existing budget for ME/CFS. Also the House decided to eliminate the PRMRP, but instead added ME/CFS into the “Combat Readiness” research program with $10 million of potential grant funding for ME/CFS researchers. If the House and Senate versions are combined in the final budget, ME/CFS researchers could apply for up to $360 million in new defense research funding in FY 20.

The best thing you can do now is to say “THANK YOU” to our Congressional funding request supporters so they will continue to support our requests during this extension

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Never thought I would need to advocate for military research funding.

It is kinda odd how they decided to tack that into that portion of the bill. I hope being in that category doesn't hinder the application process or disqualify the researchers from accessing the potential funding since it's not really militarily related unless they can somehow related it to GWS (Gulf War Syndrome) research or something.