• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A Closer Look at pH

I believe our pH is fluctuating, and we’re not seeing it. It fluctuates in response to the basal metabolic rate, which is also fluctuating, and we’re not seeing it. The two fluctuations are compensating for and masking each other.

We accelerate and decelerate—expand and contract—along with the universe. We are not separate from the universe. Our bodies participate in the movement from Alpha to Omega and from Omega to Alpha. Alpha to Omega takes place during the day, during which our metabolic rate increases (acidity goes up) and our pH becomes more alkaline, to compensate and allow us to maintain pH7. During the day, we accelerate.

Omega to Alpha takes place at night, during which our metabolic rate decreases (acidity goes down) and our pH becomes less alkaline, to compensate and allow us to maintain pH7. During the night, we decelerate.

In a sense, it’s as if our diurnal metabolic rate/pH and nocturnal metabolic rate/pH are the same, but at night, they have both been watered down.

We need to take a closer look at pH. pH7 merely indicates there's an equal amount of acid and alkali in the body; it does not indicate how much acid and alkali are present. The amount of acid and alkali has implications for the amount of hydrogen (H+) and hydroxide (OH-) ions in the body, respectively.

Our central nervous systems—via the eye, the pineal gland, the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis—are constantly scanning and attuning to the speed of light around us. All of our cells are constantly tuning in to the environment, trying to read time. The universe is a living information network, and we are part of it. I have problems when exposed to artificial light (and 5G?). They cause me to accelerate, and I'm going too fast already. I am in a state of metabolic acidosis, but we don’t see it, because I’m also too alkaline.

When we accelerate, technically speaking, we are in metabolic acidosis. We are faster than time, and there is too much acid in the body. As a result, the body’s demand for alkalinity spikes (allowing us to maintain pH7). This results in a paradox. When we are too fast, we are simultaneously too alkaline.

When we decelerate, technically speaking, we are in metabolic alkalosis. We are slower than time, and there is too much alkalinity in the body. As a result, the body’s demand for alkalinity plummets (allowing us to maintain pH7). This too results in a paradox. When we are too slow, we are simultaneously too acidic.

This pH paradox leads to metabolic gridlock. If the body is already too alkaline, how can it allow the basal metabolic rate to slow down? (Autism) If the body is already too acidic, how can it allow the basal metabolic rate to speed up? (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)

In ME/CFS, I believe the basal metabolic rate is too slow. Because there is not enough acid being generated by metabolism, the body’s demands for alkalinity are also too low. Again, what we see when we see pH7 is not the actual amount of acid and alkali; it is just that there is an equal amount of acid and alkali. In ME/CFS, there is not enough alkalinity (OH-), but the body will not allow the alkalinity to be increased—though it desperately needs it—because there is too little acidity (H+) being generated by the basal metabolism. It is keeping the alkalinity too low, to balance it.

In Autism, I believe the basal metabolic rate is too fast. Because there is too much acid being generated by metabolism, the body’s demands for alkalinity are also too high. In Autism, there is too much alkalinity (OH-), but the body will not allow the alkalinity to be decreased—though it desperately needs it—because there is too much acidity (H+) being generated by the basal metabolism. It is keeping the alkalinity too high, to balance it.

In other words, in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, when the acidity and alkalinity are both too low, the body's hydrogen (H+) and hydroxide (OH-) ion reserves will also be too low. It will have too little hydrogen and too little oxygen, in a ratio of 2:1. To counteract this, the body could retain extra water, by producing excess anti-diuretic hormone. There’s only one problem with this solution. The body does not merely need to retain extra water. It needs to split it into H+ and OH- —which is hugely energetically expensive.

This could also affect the systemic oxygen extraction (SOE). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31493035

Once we’re in metabolic gridlock, it’s tricky. It’s like an arms race, where both sides need to lay down their arms but each refuses to do so unless the other side goes first. How can we manipulate pH when pH7 is life-critical?

This is just a hypothesis, and I don’t know how to fix it. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to email me; my last name is Black (first name Alethea). I think the answer lies in the brain, in the regions wherein metabolism is set and gauged. The pineal gland, the SCN, the HPA axis. I’d like to know how our experience of time is altered and re-set during general anesthesia.

pH7 is just an indication that the amount of acid (H+) and alkali (OH-) in the body is EQUAL; it is not an indication that it is CORRECT. Though they must remain equal, they may either be both too high or both too low.

Last edited:

kangaSue

A nitric oxide synthase deficiency is common to many chronic conditions and willl likely fit into the equation somewhere along the line with oxygen sensing deficiencies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19861159

NO donors have analgesic properties for muscular pain so might achieve that end via addressing muscle microcirculatory dysregulation.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6017304/ Transdermal and Topical Drug Administration in the Treatment of Pain (point 4.5)