• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

98.1% Accuracy in CFS Testing

Belbyr

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2019/an/c8an01437j

Conclusions
This study is to evaluate the feasibility of single-cell Raman analysis for the detection of biomarkers related to mitochondrial dysfunction and CFS. Accordingly, we identified that the aromatic amino acid, phenylalanine, has an elevated intracellular concentration and can be used as a potential biomarker in ρ0 cells lacking mitochondrial DNA, as well as in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells of CFS patients. Moreover, a machine learning model achieved an accuracy of 98.1% correctly classifying patients and controls based on their Raman spectra. The combination of Raman biomarkers and classification models might lead to improvements in our understanding of CFS pathogenesis and have the potential to be used as a diagnostic tool of CFS.

Last edited:

Wishful

If this is replicable, it could be a major breakthrough. I can't understand the paper well enough to judge it. I'll wait for the response from experts.

frozenborderline

So they’re doing intracellular metabolomics? Less feasible in clinical setting than blood biomarkers but 98% is high! Jeez. And I didn’t realize you could get such a homogenous result out of me/cfs patients. They must have used strict criteria

Wishful

That's why I can't judge whether the high accuracy is just an artifact of how the experiment was carried out. It seems like a complex set of operations, so maybe the computer is accurately identifying cellular response to storage fluid or equipment cleaning fluid. I'll let someone else replicate the experiment, and then replicate it with changes.

mariovitali

I had a look at the paper. A larger sample will definitely be needed (i think this is also stated in the paper) but it is a good thing to see that the technology is being put to use by more researchers now.

As Ron Davis stated, we need novel ways to generate, collect and analyse information. I cannot think of a better way to achieve this other than using advanced analytical methods such as machine learning.

roller

wiggle jiggle
it is a good thing to see that the technology is being put to use by more researchers now.

im wondering... is it using more technology, or was there indeed a different type of researchers at work ?

Jiabao Xu a, Michelle Potter b, Cara Tomas c, Joanna L. Elson c, Karl J. Morten b, Joanna Poulton b, Ning Wang d, Hanqing Jin d, Zhaoxu Hou d and Wei E. Huang *a

a Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, Begbroke Science Park, Woodstock Road, Oxford, OX5 1PF, UK. E-mail: wei.huang@eng.ox.ac.uk; Fax: +44 (0)18653749; Tel: +44 (0)1865 283786

b Nuffield Department of Women's and Reproductive Health, University of Oxford, the Women Centre, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington, Oxford, OX3 9DU, UK

c Institute of Genetic Medicine, Newcastle University, International Centre for Life, Central Parkway, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 3BZ, UK

d Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford, Andrew Wiles Building, Radcliffe Observatory Quarter, Woodstock Road, Oxford, OX2 6GG, UK