• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

400 field beds in Berlin infront of the Bundestag

BrightCandle

I like the cots approach and I think it solves some of the logistics issues that Action for ME have with the shoes since they don't all need individual return addresses and they can be rented for a protest and returned. I am surprised each cot represents 10,000 however that must also be including Long Covid or the Germany prevalence data is vastly different to most other countries. Because 10,000 per cot in the UK would be 25 cots and this is at least 10x that many.

SWAlexander

Let´s say it is a second approach. Last year the ME/CFS organization Mr. Loy and Prof. Scheibenbogen spoke to the German Parliament. Nothing really has happened since.
We can´t give up trying and every approach is valid.
I can´t do too much PR since I´m not a German citizen, but I have and will deliver and search for scientific papers regarding LC and ME/CFS and if necessary translate them.
LC and ME/CFS is another Mendelian disorders.

wabi-sabi

I really like this image. It makes me think I can be there protesting while actually at home in bed. It also reminds me of the AIDS quilt in scale, although much more stark.

SWAlexander

As I said: Waiting for a complete transcript or summary from the government.
I don´t take credit. Here I transl. some gathered talking points by
Daniel Loy https://twitter.com/loy_daniel_de

Deputy Stüwe mentions the research agenda: "I promise we will fight together to stabilize investments in research." He ends with the words: "We see you, we hear you!"

Another MEP continues: "Those affected deserve that we finally help them." He speaks about the cardinal symptom of #MECFS, the so-called post-exertional malaise (#PEM). He highlights the intersection of #MECFS and #Longcovid.

"Those affected suffer in silence, dear colleagues!"

The MP talks about the stigmatization and ignorance that those affected have to experience.

L Flindemann points out: "#MECFS is not a mental illness!" MP emphasizes that the disease is not new. He describes the severity of #MECFS.

First of all, thank those affected who have been committed to demanding change in #MECFS for years. "We promise you that we will do everything we can to make a positive change."

With regard to therapy studies, she mentions challenges in the cooperation between politics and the pharmaceutical industry and appeals to all those involved to overcome hurdles.

linda_lobster mentions the current difficulties in supply and access to help. "#MECFS is a devastating diagnosis. Nevertheless, many sufferers are grateful to be diagnosed in the first place."

The MEP talks about difficult diagnostics and ... Enlightenment of the medical profession and calls for further training.

AtesGuerpinar follows for the left. First of all, thank those affected who have been committed to demanding change in #MECFS for years.

"We promise you that we will do everything we can to make a positive change."

The MP talks about the frequency of #MECFS and the severity & complexity of the disease.

"Those affected suffer in silence, dear colleagues!" The MP talks about the stigmatization and ignorance that those affected have to experience.

The MP highlights the socio-economic costs and the high suicide rate of the disease. He calls for more research investment for #MECFS. Talks about the connection to #Longcovid. He mentions the clinical study group led by @C_Scheibenbogen

The deputy says: "It is our job to create solutions." "The illness and the suffering of those affected must be taken seriously. I would like to ask the medical profession in particular."

Dr. Herbert Wollmann. The deputy is committed to the promises of the coalition agreement. He emphasizes that the government is already working on improving the supply situation.

Last edited:

linusbert

seams like good intension, but as of the years i am weary of politician promises.
where is the money? they should divert from the 100billion they want to put into the re-arming of the military at least 10billion towards CFS research.
i wanted to hear clear actions, like creating a workgroup/taskforce, alloting them A LOT of money and spending that money for research.

or at least changing laws for social money so the victims of this disease are at least giving money to pay the rent and their medication.
they are paying billions for healthy immigrants which 50% are not working ... but for their own sick population we are not even talking about this!

SWAlexander

seams like good intension, but as of the years i am weary of politician promises.

I am also weary and only believe what I see.
Nevertheless, we will continue pushing and holding their feet to the fire.
Suggesting you post your ideas on Twitter. All inputs are valuable.

SWAlexander

Google translation

Motion calls for help for sufferers of chronic fatigue syndrome
https://www.bundestag.de/dokumente/textarchiv/2023/kw03-de-me-cfs-927044

1st reading

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) was the focus of a Bundestag debate on Thursday, January 19, 2023. MEPs approved a motion by the CDU/CSU parliamentary group entitled “Finally help those affected by ME/CFS and their relatives – for a better Health and therapy care, education and recognition” (20/4886). Following the debate, the motion was referred to the lead Health Committee.

The Union faction calls for help for patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and their relatives. The supply situation of the affected people and their relatives is characterized by hopelessness and lack of prospects. According to her application, the fate of many people is simply being overlooked. According to the application, ME/CFS is a serious multisystem disease of suspected neuroimmunological origin that leads to pathological exhaustion (fatigue) and worsening of symptoms after any exertion (post-exertional malaise). The number of people who are ill worldwide is estimated at 17 to 24 million people. ME/CFS severely limits the quality of life of those affected. Patients often depend on care from relatives. More than 60 percent of those affected are unable to work, around 25 percent are unable to leave the house due to illness or are even bedridden.

Specifically, the MPs call for immediate financial and structural support for the establishment of the competence centers and interdisciplinary outpatient clinics for ME/CFS mentioned in the coalition agreement. Access to health and social systems should also be made easier for those affected. Rehabilitation offers for relatives must be promoted in order to reduce their physical and psychological stress and to enable the severely ill to participate in school or work.

lenora

The very last thing that will work is alienating the people who are in a position to help us. A lot of agreements are not reached in a Conference, but in getting to know other colleagues, and winning them over to our side.

That's the way it has always been and I doubt that Germany is different from other countries. Yes, we want answers and we want them now, but we also have to adapt to the way the spectrum works. Yours, Lenora

BrightCandle

Rehabilitation offers for relatives must be promoted in order to reduce their physical and psychological stress and to enable the severely ill to participate in school or work.

Thisis concerning as a statement, the severely ill can not participate in these things until research is done on treatments. This is cart before the horse stuff, with no treatments available there is zero point setting up clinics other than to diagnose and gather participants for trials. Rehabilutation suggests exercise and I have heard multidiscplinary teams as a euphemism for Psychology + pysiotherapists so many times now I unfortunately see where this appears to be going. GET and CBT incoming.

linusbert

Thisis concerning as a statement, the severely ill can not participate in these things until research is done on treatments. This is cart before the horse stuff, with no treatments available there is zero point setting up clinics other than to diagnose and gather participants for trials. Rehabilutation suggests exercise and I have heard multidiscplinary teams as a euphemism for Psychology + pysiotherapists so many times now I unfortunately see where this appears to be going. GET and CBT incoming.

this is actually a good interpretation. i didnt read it like this at first but now it makes sense!
when they do rehab and multidisciplinary teams with psychology and physiotherapists and GET and CBT.. it actually means the do not need to change anything at all or invest any money at all, because thats exactly how they handle it right now.
i suggest they will do release a public guideline where they conclude all this and thats it.
germany and politics, they never cease to disappoint - i am pretty sure we got the most incompetent politicians in the world for quite some time now.