• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2010 Cold Spring Harbor Retrovirus Conference Program...

I tested "+/- Positive" on PCR detection on Qubec Dr Jolicoeur study

I've been part of Dr Jolicoeur study. I've been told (by my doctor) that only 4 patients out of 120 has tested "+/- Positive" on PCR detection in "Institut de recherches cliniques de Montral" study. I'm one of those 4 patients. Shall I say "lucky me"? the 3 other tests in the study were "dtection d'Ag viraux, dtection de virus infectueux, and dtection d'anticorps turned to be all negative for me. On the report I got from IRCM, a comment state that: "a +/- result is probably negative, as it couln't be confirmed in an independent study or with other primers". Voil.

Kati

Patient in training
I've been part of Dr Jolicoeur study. I've been told (by my doctor) that only 4 patients out of 120 has tested "+/- Positive" on PCR detection in "Institut de recherches cliniques de Montral" study. I'm one of those 4 patients. Shall I say "lucky me"? the 3 other tests in the study were "dtection d'Ag viraux, dtection de virus infectueux, and dtection d'anticorps turned to be all negative for me. On the report I got from IRCM, a comment state that: "a +/- result is probably negative, as it couln't be confirmed in an independent study or with other primers". Voil.

Here is the english translation : viral antigen detection of infectious virus and antibody detection was negative for grosminou (big cat !!!) but PCR +/- positive, whatever it means.

subtr4ct

I've been part of Dr Jolicoeur study. I've been told (by my doctor) that only 4 patients out of 120 has tested "+/- Positive" on PCR detection

Hi grominou, welcome to the forums, and thanks for the valuable info. Can we infer from the above quote that no culturing was employed? Just straight up PCR?

Hi subst4ct,

IRCM Dr Paul Jolicoeur CFS vs XMRV study included 4 tests:
1. Viral sequences in blood cells with PCR amplification
2. Viral antigen in blood cells: + By immunofluorescence methodology;
3. Infectious virus with in vitro co-culturing methodology using cell line known to be sensible to this virus;
4. Antiviral antibody detection: +By Western blot methodology.

Only the number 1: "Viral sequences with PCR" revealed a (or +/-) result. Number 2-3-4 were negative.

My doctor also told me that the study developed their own PCR because using PCR from WPI would had cost too much to the Montreal's institute.

Advocate

Hi grominou,

Thank you very much for the information. Please check your Inbox for a Private Message from me.

Advocate