• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

*15th July* Dr Lucinda Bateman & Vincent Racaniello - Webinar!

VillageLife

***Don't miss it!!***:D

XMRV Update

Thursday, July 15, 2010

12:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT

UK TIME: 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM BST

https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/702564801

During this program you'll hear from two experts about the latest research into the association between XMRV, a newly discovered human retrovirus, and CFS.

Vincent Racaniello, PhD, a virology professor at Columbia University and host of the popular "This Week in Virology" podcast and Virology Blog, will update us on what is known about XMRV, its association with human disease (including CFS) and how research should move forward to understand its role in CFS.

Lucinda Bateman, MD, an expert CFS physician, will provide an update on the latest studies of XMRV and CFS. Dr. Bateman is a clinical collaborator on a study at University of Utah led by Dr. Ila Signh, one of the co-discoverers of XMRV. She will outline seven ways in which the research on XMRV has positively impacted the field of CFS research and what we're likely to learn as studies progress.

Scientific director Suzanne Vernon, PhD, will host the webinar. Suzanne earned her PhD in virology, so this promises to be a thought-provoking and informative program from all speakers.

V99

I kind of wish this was happening after the Alter paper was out. Hopefullly, they will arrange one then too.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Don't know why they invited Racaniello to give this webinar. Judging from some of the things he has said, I think his knowledge of XMRV (& other MuLV's) is limited at best. Would have liked to seen someone more knowledgeable invited, e.g. Judy Mikovits, Ila Singh, one of the Ruscettis?

I suspect Racaniello is there to basically say "everything is a.o.k., science will solve all your problems., subscribe to my podcast. Yadda Yadda Yadda." i.e. Stick to the status quo.

VillageLife

Don't know why they invited Racaniello to give this webinar. Judging from some of the things he has said, I think his knowledge of XMRV (& other MuLV's) is limited at best.

The funny thing is most people on this forum are all experts on xmrv lol!!! We have read the scientific papers, followed every single article, newspaper and blog :D We know this subject inside out!

Tembo

Australia
I wont forget - I have to stay up til 12am to see it......going to need some serious caffeine tomorrow night!

jspotila

Me too!! but you never know there maybe some new information.
I think Dr Katz is doing a webinar next month, on blood saftey!

Yes, Dr. Katz will do a webinar on XMRV and Blood Safety on August 12th at 2pm.

The webinars are recorded and posted on YouTube within a couple days, so if the time doesn't work for someone you can still watch the webinars when it is convenient.

pollycbr125

just registered but havent recieved the confirmation email , hopeing i havent made a mistake with my email address :confused:

ive got the unique link hopefully that will do

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Garcia,

That would have been my opinion b4 the interview with Cort. Now I'm a little more positive on him, but today's webinar will make it or break it for me.

Sing

Maybe Racaniello will learn something today, or IS learning something new. I wouldn't assume he is stuck in old opinions. Let's see!

Stone

If anyone is interested, during the webinar is a good time to sign in to the chat room on PR so we can 'crosstalk' or comment. There are many here whose opinions I would value on things as the webinar is taking place. I am aware though how difficult multi-tasking is for us, if not impossible for most, particularly if it involves taking in information from more than one source simultaneously. But I just thought I would remind ppl that the chat room during live web events is often really interesting. Hehe, I'm remembering the last CFSAC meeting, if you could call it that (it was more of a meeting about how to have a meeting) and the commentary on this website's chatroom reminded me of the old show "Mystery Science Theater" which was hysterical. I'm looking forward to that as much or more than the webinar. Just sayin'

I think that Racaniello's pretty open about not being an expert on CFS or XMRV, but it's interesting to hear what a more generalist virologist thinks about the situation.

I read his stuff to see how the scientific community is reacting to the controversy more than to get really detailed expert analysis.

V99

He comes across as neutral, but does not appear to understand the difficulty in detecting XMRV.

V99

I really hope they don't go on about the negative studys to much!! But I guess they might.

Hopefully why they were negative, and why the 'Science' paper, even now, stands out above the rest.

citybug

trying for 35 minutes to get in, downloaded everything, don't have a password, asked for password, didn't send it, going around in circles