• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

$$$ for WPI vote daily now in Vivint Round 2!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
WPI is a very strong contender to win at least $100,000 and possibly the top prize of $250,000 in the Vivint charitable giving contest, which starts today. Everyone, anywhere in the world, can vote for WPI in the contest. You just need a Facebook account (takes minutes to open one!).

Here is WPIs link: http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/769

However, its going to take all of our support. This is free money, at no cost to any of us, and the research that it could fund could change all our lives. Please take part!

There are five regions of North American in the contest. WPI Came a strong second in its region (Pacific), with over 7,000 votes and just 130 behind the leader. In Round 2, each regions winner will get $100,000 and the winner of the most votes overall will win $250,000 (the runner-up in the overall winners region will also get $100,000).

A Prader-Willi Syndrome charity got the most votes of any single charity in Round 1 with over 11,000. But with the WPI likely to attract every ME/CFS voter in Round 2, and with us all knowing that every vote counts, WPI has an extremely good chance of winning not just its region but the whole competition.

Two other ME/CFS charities have made it through to Round 2 and weve had a lot of discussion on the Round 1 thread about whether to also support them in Round 2. I think its fair to say that we dont think that IACFS/ME can win in the Central Region it scraped in at 19th place with 1,000 votes and the winner got 10,000. However, in Canada, the National ME/FM Network got only 350 votes but in a much weaker region where the winner only got 2,000.

We concluded that the best strategy is to vote flat out for WPI. If at a later stage it becomes apparent that WPI cant win its region or would win by a ridiculous margin, some of us think we could spare votes for the NMFM. My personal view is that it aint over til its over but we can worry about that down the line! We all agreed that at least at the beginning, its WPI,WPI, WPI every day.

You can sign up on Facebook for a daily reminder to vote, here. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=121179681298558
You could also set up your Microsoft Office calendar to remind you to vote every day. Or if you hit Whats New on the forums every day, youre likely to see this Vivint thread with new messages.

You can also help by setting up a signature to appear on all your forum posts like mine, to help spread the message. We need the help of everyone on Phoenix Rising and the more signatures like this one, the more people will see voting as the norm and the more youll be helping WPI to win! Here are instructions on how to create a signature.

Lets get voting!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
WPI is already in the overall lead! Keep this up and we gt $250,000, guys! :D:D:D

You can see the big picture here.

Francelle

As I said in the other thread, consistency of voting everyday is what we need. A daily reminder is also what we need considering our memories (or mine at least)! I have set a reminder in my Microsoft Outlook calendar and this worked well for me in Round 1. I try to vote at a similar time each day because with different time zones it can get confusing as to when the USA day starts and finishes.

This evening I have also emailed individually five people (handpicked) who I think will be the most likely to respond to my individual invitation to vote. If each of these in turn also asked one or two others who love being on the internet to join in, then it can expand exponentially.

Thanks Sasha for all your encouragement in this!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
As I said in the other thread, consistency of voting everyday is what we need. A daily reminder is also what we need considering our memories (or mine at least)! I have set a reminder in my Microsoft Outlook calendar and this worked well for me in Round 1. I try to vote at a similar time each day because with different time zones it can get confusing as to when the USA day starts and finishes.

This evening I have also emailed individually five people (handpicked) who I think will be the most likely to respond to my individual invitation to vote. If each of these in turn also asked one or two others who love being on the internet to join in, then it can expand exponentially.

Thanks Sasha for all your encouragement in this!

Great - it's a really good thing to get others to vote too. And thanks for your idea about MS calendar!

It will be interesting to see how voting goes once Utah (strong Prader-Willi Syndrome charity) and Nevada (WPI) wake up in their time zones - meanwhile, the WPI is still the overall winner. Go, WPI!

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Wow - WPI is out of the gate and holding strongl! I think this is even better than we had hoped. It will be interesting to see where we all are tonight, this first day will set the tone, every day that we are in top place or close to it will make it that much more difficult for the other charities to catch up.

"Light & Love Home-Vancouver" seems to have come out of nowhere in the Canada region, they look to be tough to beat unfortunately. Good to concentrate efforts on WPI so as not to split votes.

Dolphin

Wow - WPI is out of the gate and holding strongl! I think this is even better than we had hoped. It will be interesting to see where we all are tonight, this first day will set the tone, every day that we are in top place or close to it will make it that much more difficult for the other charities to catch up.

"Light & Love Home-Vancouver" seems to have come out of nowhere in the Canada region, they look to be tough to beat unfortunately.
Light & Love Home-Vancouver got 589 on the last day of voting in Round 1 (they only had 26 before that!)

Good to concentrate efforts on WPI so as not to split votes.
:thumbsup:

Dolphin

Great - it's a really good thing to get others to vote too. And thanks for your idea about MS calendar!

It will be interesting to see how voting goes once Utah (strong Prader-Willi Syndrome charity) and Nevada (WPI) wake up in their time zones - meanwhile, the WPI is still the overall winner. Go, WPI!
It will be interesting but I don't think they're the big threat. They were charity #18 so were in there from the start - over the last eleven days of Round 1 they averaged 316 a day.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It will be interesting but I don't think they're the big threat. They were charity #18 so were in there from the start - over the last eleven days of Round 1 they average 316 a day.

That's very good news - puts the $250,000 very clearly within our sights. It's great that you did such a good job on getting us all this data!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Bumping! A new voting day has dawned, folks! Vote here: http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/769

WPI are currently leading in the Pacific region with 1300 votes, 350 ahead of the charity in second place. If that holds up, they'll win $100,000 as the regional winner. But across all five regions they've slipped to 4th place overall, 300 votes behind the leading charity. If that holds up, they won't win the big prize of $250,000.

This is only after the first day of voting but it shows that WPI is a very strong contender but one that needs our constant, daily support. We can't relax and we need to try as hard as we can!

If you're not already voting, please start now and tell all your friends about the contest.

WPI sent out a message to their supporters about the contest at midnight last night UK time so we can hope for some extra voters today who wouldn't have known about the contest yesterday, especially on this side of the Atlantic and the eastern US.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
By the way, thanks so much everyone on this thread - you have all made yourselves Vivint signatures to spread the word and it will be a great help!

Dolphin

Vivint contest: update after 24 hours

I saved the data after 24 hours of the Vivint contest to see what was the voting like in the first full day (people can only vote once each day).
I've attached a file from a few minutes before (I used different formats and this one from 23 hrs 55mins is small enough to upload).

The Whittemore Person Institute
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/769 were in a strong position in first place in their region with 1052.
Next group in their region was the Be Perfect Foundation on 834. 3rd place was The Trevor Foundation on 521, less than half of the WPI number of votes.
It had looked from Round 1 that the WPI and the Be Perfect Foundation would battle it out for top spot.
If the WPI stays there, that'd be $100,000.

Overall, the WPI was in 6th. The top group, CHERUBS, had 1489 votes.

This is more like a marathon than a sprint. We need people to keep voting daily if possible. And of course new voters would be good also esp. in the next few weeks which means they may vote more than if they just join up at the end.

If you click on http://on.fb.me/iZGsVb , saying you're attending, you'll get a daily reminder E-mail.

Attachments

• Votes after 23 hours 55 mins on day one Round 2 Vivint Gives Back Project.pdf
    88.5 KB · Views: 46

helen41

just saw this list of raffle prizes in exchange for votes on the cherubs forum
* Angel Ball Prize (2 tickets, 2 masks)
* CDH Awareness Kit
* Florida Timeshare (donated in memory of Brielle Santo)
* Kid's Birthday Party (Chicago area, donated by Creative Celebrations in honor of Aidan Rubenstein)
* iTunes cards (donated in honor of Bryer Floyd)
* $100.00 in Facebook Credits (donated in memory of Shane Torrence)
* Jewelry (donated by Lilly Beck in honor of Celie McGilberry and in memory of Claude McGilberry)
* Coach purse (donated in honor of Scarlette Skrove)
* 5-night stay at a condo on the Gulf coast in Alabama! (donated in honor of Celie McGilberry and in memory of Claude McGilberry)
I feel disgusting right now, but will look into a sweepstakes as soon as I can

Dolphin

helen41, I'm willing to give money e.g. $50 or perhaps more, for people who sign up for an event as I've said before. It could be a new event. But I don't want to organise as have lots to do. PM me if you ever want me to transfer money, etc.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
WPI is in awesome place start of day 2. With a lead of 200 that will grow each day, we could take the Pacific region. The only real competition is the Be Perfect Foundation, they are probably out right now trying to get the extra 200+ people to close the gap before it's too late.

It's amazing how fast these leads will solidify. Within a week I think places will be set, and it will be hard for any charity to overcome their spots, which is bad for us winning the $250K, but will be terrific for our chances in the Pacific.

Dolphin

WPI is in awesome place start of day 2. With a lead of 200 that will grow each day, we could take the Pacific region. The only real competition is the Be Perfect Foundation, they are probably out right now trying to get the extra 200+ people to close the gap before it's too late.

It's amazing how fast these leads will solidify. Within a week I think places will be set, and it will be hard for any charity to overcome their spots, which is bad for us winning the $250K, but will be terrific for our chances in the Pacific.
Yes, the earlier the better getting voters for this. If people want to push for voters, best not to wait till August.

Sasha

Fine, thank you

I think you're right - I think people might start to get complacent later in the game but unless we really push right now and get people on board as early as we can, it will be hard to move in the rankings later.

There are quite a few XMRV threads with people talking passionately about the research but the discussants don't yet have Vivint signatures. Perhaps this might (or might not) suggest that they're not realising how very real our chances are of doing well with this if we get everyone's support. I think it's easy to get demoralised by all the ups and downs of the research and to feel helpless. I posted on one already to ask them to join in, vote and set up Vivint signatures for their messages - I hope I don't alienate anybody by seeming to nag!

Phoenix Rising alone could win this for the WPI - we typically get 700-800 people a day visiting the site.

Tuha

for this moment it looks good at least for the first place in pacific region but i wouldnt feel too safety. there are still so many days - you can remember with chase community giving that some groups arrived from nowhere the last days. so i think we should try to accelerate and even try for the first price (why not?) - the other groups are not so far away from us.
for the chase community giving I had a strategy that I chated directly to a friend who was online and asked about voting and it worked really well - noone refused. now when its daily voting it doesnt work so good - the people are lazy, they forget - so i have no cloue have many of my friends will vote daily. but i found another strategy - some of them gave me their password because they were too lazy to do it - so now I am voting for 5 persons daily and I will ask the others for their passwords :).
well not everyone will give you his password but actually why not - there is nothing private because you can see everything anyway on the facebook wall.
btw. you would never believe what kind of passwords have the people :)

Dolphin

for this moment it looks good at least for the first place in pacific region but i wouldnt feel too safety. there are still so many days - you can remember with chase community giving that some groups arrived from nowhere the last days. so i think we should try to accelerate and even try for the first price (why not?) - the other groups are not so far away from us.
for the chase community giving I had a strategy that I chated directly to a friend who was online and asked about voting and it worked really well - noone refused. now when its daily voting it doesnt work so good - the people are lazy, they forget - so i have no cloue have many of my friends will vote daily. but i found another strategy - some of them gave me their password because they were too lazy to do it - so now I am voting for 5 persons daily and I will ask the others for their passwords :).
well not everyone will give you his password but actually why not - there is nothing private because you can see everything anyway on the facebook wall.
btw. you would never believe what kind of passwords have the people :)
Yes, my brother gave me his password. I also have my mum's password but then she just set it up for Chase Community Giving.

I mentioned that my brother had given me his password when writing to my two sisters and my brother's partner yesterday to see would any of them bite. None offered with that but one of my sisters said she'd vote every day she's on Facebook. Fortunately, she's a bit of a FB addict. FB addiction finally has a value. :Retro smile: